Jurassic Vacation

"Splutter, splutter, shshshshshchch!" groaned the car.
"Oh no!" Dad yelped. "What's wrong Dad?" I said. "The, the, the engine!" he cried. "What do we do?" I asked, panicking. "It's completely blown!" Dad shouted. My heart was racing as fast as a cheetah. Why couldn't we just get to Jurassic safely?
I guess that's where the trouble started. We were supposed to be on a relaxing holiday. But nope, that couldn't happen. Everything has been chaotic at home. Dad, a kind-hearted and cheerful man, and I, a normal twelve year old with blonde hair, blue eyes and a love for animals, decided we should go on a vacation. We were off to visit Jurassic, a place where dinosaurs used to live (they're extinct now of course!)
Suddenly all I could see was a car in the distance, flying towards us, from the direction of Jurassic. My body flooded with relief and my heart started beating again. I could feel the wind cooling my face as the black Mitsubishi zoomed towards us rapidly. We waved and honked the horn but it kept going! The panic flooded back through me...
After trying and trying to get phone reception and tooting and waving at passing cars until our arms throbbed, it was dark. I presumed we'd have to spend the night in our car, as there was no civilisation within walking distance. At least we had food and water...
Hours later, I awoke from a restless sleep that featured eerie dreams and eerie shadows. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I suddenly realised that it wasn't just a dream, there were in fact creepy shadows moving around the car! Dad must have heard something too as he was wide awake.
Then, my heart actually stopped and Dad let out an ear-piercing scream in my ear. There was a massive, evil-looking dinosaur coming towards us! But that's impossible! I didn't know what to do! But then, as if it was never there, it vanished into the earth before our eyes, and was gone.
What if dinosaurs actually weren't extinct? What if they were still real in this town? Suddenly it all made sense, just little things being put into perspective. The weird feeling we had when we entered the surrounds of Jurassic, the car engine abruptly seizing up, the cars frantically fleeing the area, the strange dreams and the mysterious shadows. In this town the dinosaurs actually exist! When you cross the invisible line into Jurassic you see the dinosaurs, but when you are outside, they don't exist.
I explained my theory to Dad and he yelled "let's get out of here!" Creepily, the car started immediately and we began the long drive back to our home town. Now we are safely at home, after our hectic "vacation". And get this- my memory of the last two days is becoming hazy. Could that be how Jurassic has stayed protected? "It's good to be home Dad", I sighed with relief.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!