The Green Men

They marched through our town, their flags held high, while I hid away as the loud footsteps drew nearer and my parents stood outside and saluted them. There were shouts, mentions of service and bravery. They held guns. I was told that guns were bad, apparently, these men used them for good. One day, I took a step outside, one of the giants came over to me. While his body was rigid, his face was kind and melted into my eyes like a gooey marshmallow inside a burnt case. I stared at the green marshmallow man and asked him gently, “Why are you green and why are you holding a gun.” I thought he would be angry, as I asked what must’ve been a silly question to him but he crouched down on his knee and told me, “I work for the army, we’re only trying to protect you and the green is my uniform, and the gun is a symbol of honour, me and all my friends wear it together.” This message stuck with me, for a long time. I had friends, I wanted to protect my town and I wanted the honour.

That night I put in my entry form. The military is always ready for new applicants so I was whisked away straight to the training base where they a lot of tests. The next two weeks were the hardest, my results being churned through the great military machine. I constantly checked my phone, 3 the big weeks after when I was giving up hope and shuffling around unenthusiastically I heard a knock at my door. I shuffled over and opened it, only to see the green marshmallow man staring at me. He was a wizened old man by then but it was still him and after we had a heartfelt gaze and I packed we headed off.
Even though I was going to a highly routined army camp, I couldn’t help feeling giddy with excitement as I headed off to my life’s dream. The training was slow, sirens wailing like a mechanical rooster as I tore myself from the bed. I was a sloth, untidy, tired and slow. I was starting to regret coming here. I was sitting in the bathroom one night, crying, but as I stared down at myself I saw the green uniform and remembered why I had come here. I gave myself an internal pep talk and that changed my attitude, habits and life in the camp. The rest of the time at camp was a light slap on the cheek. Just before we were expected to leave it was Veterans Day. As we paraded cheers came from the audience until one day, I heard a whimper. There was a little girl clinging to her mum’s leg and my heart collapsed onto my lungs as I imagined myself in her position and I immediately rushed over to her and told her it was all OK. I tried my best to calm her down. I explained my job, my uniform and my gun. How it was my honour as a green man to protect her, her town and her country.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!