Alice And The Three Bears


Alice pushed the front door open. There was no one home, so she slipped inside, shutting the door behind her.
She rushed to the breakfast table. She sat down and counted the bowls of honey porridge.

Three!

Sigh!

Alice dipped her finger into the porridge and licked it. It was delicious. Honey was Alice’s favourite. She finished the rest of the porridge in the bowl. Alice sauntered into the living room and counted the rocking chairs.

Three. Again.

She sighed again and climbed onto the tallest (and hardest) chair. She liked firm chairs. Alice rocked and rocked until she felt sleepy. She wandered into the bedroom and collapsed into one of three beds.

Alice closed her eyes. “So soft,” she murmured contently. She pulled the cotton blanket up to her chin and drifted off…
***
“Alice!”

Alice opened her eyes slowly to see Mama Bear standing over her. “What are you doing in my bed?”

“I’m just getting some shut-eye, Mama,” Alice groaned. ‘Now do you mind-”

“Of course I mind!” Mama Bear growled. “Now go help Papa Bear prepare lunch. Not that you’re hungry, of course,” she added, looking at Baby Bear who was in his chair, reading. “Eating Baby Bear’s food like that…”

“I was hungry and I still am hungry, Mama.” Alice tried to explain. “It’s just-”

Suddenly she burst into tears. Mama Bear felt sorry for her.

“I’m sorry we haven’t got you a bed and a chair yet. It’s just we’re busy preparing for hibernation,” Mama Bear explained.

Alice said nothing. She hopped off the bed and with a huff, stormed into the kitchen to meet Papa Bear. He was making raw salmon sandwiches.

“Want a sandwich?” he quickly offered when he noticed the stormy expression on her face.

“No thank you,” she huffed, shoving away his paw abruptly. “Is it salmon again? I’m not a bear, you know.”

Mama Bear came over.

“Good heavens. Please calm down before we have an argument.”

Before Alice could speak, Mama Bear sighed. “I know it’s been hard for you with the fishy diet, and wanting your own room.” She paused. “And I know you told me you can’t sleep for three months straight.”

Alice nodded.

“Papa Bear will take you to the furniture store after hibernation,” Mama Bear continued. “You know we love you like our own and ever since the day we found you in the woods, our lives have never been the same.”

“But,” Alice pointed out, “where will I go?”

“Well,” Mama Bear said, “Papa Bear and I have been giving this some thought. We know how much you like hanging out with that girl in the red hood, so…”

Alice knew what she was going to say next.

“So… we decided to let you stay with her and her grandma during hibernation!”

“Yay!” Alice squealed. “Thanks Mum!” She leaned in to give Mama Bear a big bear hug.

“Just watch out for the Big Bad Wolf lingering about the forest!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!