Quack The Duck

Chapter 1
============
Quack the Duck lived in a pond with his family. Quack's pond was right outside a house where a little girl lived. The girl fed him regularly and took good care of him, but one day Quack decided he wanted an adventure, so he packed his bags, said goodbye to his family and set off down the road to find an adventure.
As Quack was walking, he met a porcupine.
"Hello" said the porcupine.
"Hello" answered Quack.
"Who are you? Where are you going?" Asked the porcupine.
"My name is Quack and I'm going on an adventure. How about you?"
"I don't have a name but I'm a porcupine and I was just going for a walk."
"What is a porky pine?" Quack asked.
"Me!!" The porcupine answered proudly, sticking out his chest.
"Oh" said Quack. "So why don't you have a name?"
"Because no one named me" the porcupine said sadly.
"I could name you!" Quack said with a grin.
The porcupine became excited. "Could you really?! What are you going to name me?"
Quack looked at the porcupine thoughtfully. "Oh, I've got it!!" He shouted "Spikey!"
"Spikey?" The porcupine asked.
"Oh, don't you like it?" Quack asked, disappointed.
"Like it?" The porcupine asked. "I love it!! It's the best name I've ever had! Thank you so much."
"Do you really like it?" Asked Quack, pleased. "Ok, Spikey it is. Spikey, would you like to come with me?"
"Could I really?!" Spikey asked. "Then yes! I'd love to!!"
So, the two of them danced down the road together in search of an adventure.
Chapter 2
============
It was early afternoon when everything started. Quack was just wondering if they would ever find anything exciting when he heard a noise. Spikey stopped suddenly.
"Did you hear that?" He whispered.
"Yes, I did" Quack said.
"What was it, do you think?" Spikey said nervously.
"I don't know," Quack said "but I'm going to find out."
Quack started to walk forwards bravely when Spikey called, "Hey wait up! I'm coming too."
"Ok" said Quack "but we have to be very quiet."
"Ok" whispered Spikey. "Let's go."
Quack and Spikey walked softly through the trees and soon they came out onto a beach. At the same time, they both noticed a little fish swimming around calling "Help! Help!"
"What's wrong?” Quack asked the fish.
"I'm lost and I can't swim well enough to go find my family." Replied the fish. Quack took a quick look at the fish and knew what to do at once, for his dad was a doctor and Quack had always watched him while he worked. Quack waded into the water and in a few minutes the fish was as good as new.
"There you go" Quack said.
"Oh, thank you!" The little fish said gratefully. "Now I can go and find my family!"
"Just wait!" Quack called. "What is your name?"
"My name is Scales." Said the fish. "What are your names?"
"My name is Quack and this is my friend Spikey." Quack replied.
"Hello!" Said Spikey cheerfully.
"Hello!" Answered Scales. "Well it was nice to meet you both but I have to go and find my family. Bye!" And with that he was gone.
"I liked him" said Spikey.
"Me too." Said Quack. "Let's keep going." So off they went again side by side.
Quack and Spikey kept walking for a whole week! They looked everywhere but they didn't find an adventure. They walked so far that they ended up back at their own homes.
"Well," said Spikey sighing, "we didn't find an adventure after all."
"No, we didn't." said Quack sadly. Then Quack saw his pond and his family flapping and jumping with excitement because he was home and a slow smile spread across his face. "You know Spikey," he said, "I think the greatest adventure of all is coming home again."
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!