The Peace Gem

Amy looked over her shoulder and knew she had to keep running. She could see the entrance metres away. Amy had escaped the stampede of animals but now had to conquer the underground passage way!

“Eve, are you ready to find the Peace Gem that Grandpa has been searching for”, whispered Amy. Eve nodded but knew that finding the gem to bring world peace, would be a difficult task.

Amy and Eve crept through a dark tunnel until they could see a bright flickering torch in front of them. Eve picked up the torch and waved it around the room and realised they would be challenged for the adventure ahead, as in front of her, she saw a locked door with a combination padlock.

“I think we need to find four numbers to open up the door” Eve murmured.

In the room there was a table, chairs and a door. Amy started looking around for numbers. She looked under the table and found a note taped next to a number. “Eve there’s a note”, exclaimed Amy. “It says that when you find all the numbers, put it in the sequence that makes the lowest number possible”. Amy tucked the note in her pocket and took out a notebook. Amy crawled back under the table and wrote down the number 8.

Next, Eve found the number 2 carved on a chair leg. Amy then found the number 6 scratched in the corner on the ceiling. Eve scanned the room again and found where the last hidden number was, the number 5 was engraved on the door knob.

Amy scribbled the last number down on her pad and looked at them. “We have an eight, two, six and five, the lowest number has to be two five six eight”, said Amy. Eve rushed over to the door and dialled in the number.

“It worked”, exclaimed Eve. Amy and Eve rushed through the door to find ten keys laying on tables. At that moment a voice boomed out of a speaker sitting on the table.

“You have three chances to go through the door to find what you seek. If you use those chances then the ground will turn to lava and you will die instantly”, said the voice loudly.

Amy walked over to the table and found a note sitting underneath a key. “Eve there’s a note”, muttered Amy. “What am I? I am a 2D shape, I have less than five straight sides and I fit in the lock on the door”, read Eve taking the note from Amy.

“So that means it is a triangle, square or rectangle”, muttered Amy. Eve took the square key to the door and found that it didn’t fit. She then grabbed the rectangle and that didn’t fit either. That meant that it had to be the triangle.

To their relief, they unlocked the door and there, glowing in front of them, was the Peace Gem!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!