Dad Leaves

Anxiously we sat on the couch and waited for something to happen. We could tell on dad’s face that something serious was about to be said. A tingle started in the pit of my stomach and I was becoming more and more worried. I had no idea what was going to happen.

Dad began hesitantly to tell us what was happening. It was hard for me to understand, but I still got the message; he was leaving us. Mum, Lexie and I started to cry. We couldn't imagine what it would be like without him being around. For the first time in my life I saw my tears mirrored on dad's face.

Silently and reluctantly Dad began to move his stuff out. I asked him where he was going to go and he said that he was going to stay with his mum.

That night I couldn't sleep. Dad’s words kept going around and around in my head. Most nights he would be at work very late, sometimes even till morning, so most nights he wasn't there but this was very different. For some reason the house felt empty, as though someone or something was missing.

When morning arrived finally I awoke with thoughts of Dad. The tears rolled down my cheeks and eventually, when I went into my Mum’s room, she reminded me that today was athletics day. My face changed. I was so nervous and the worst part was I had no idea if dad was going to be there. When it was my time to do sprints I heard my name being shouted. My eyes followed the direction of the voice … It was DAD. I was so happy that he came. As I started to sprint, all I could hear was my dad cheering me on. It made me feel happy that he was supporting me so I kept running by the time I finished my race I had a huge smile on my face. I finished my race and ran to dad and gave him a huge hug. We both started crying.

Later on that day I asked dad if he would ever come home but he said no and the reason for that was because they were getting a divorce. I had no idea what that meant but it didn't sound good. Dad said that it meant that he was not going to come back home again.

Anxiously we sat on the couch once again. Dad had come over to tell us something. He told us that he had a girlfriend and her name was Karen. I had recently seen the movie ‘Cinderella’ and I thought that Karen would be like the evil stepmother. Karen had moved up here I realized that she wasn't so bad. I actually like her.

Dad and Karen are now engaged. They’re getting married in March 2019 and we are flowergirls.

Finally we bought a new couch.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!