First Day Of School

Finalist in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

I breathe in great rasps of air as I gradually approach the door.
The sound of my own agitation is deafening. I attempt to restrain myself but like the other countless and frivolous attempts, I lay in an ocean of my tears. I must console myself. Is there a slight contingency that today, tomorrow and all other days will encompass love and acceptance? I analyse the situation, I can concur that due to the evidence provided, or lack thereof, I don’t know.
All I know is that I will strut confidently and self-assured into that classroom, embodying a true instinct of self-righteousness. Though will they be engulfed in resent towards me when they discover the tyrannical truth? I alert my gaze to signal sent upon to me from the teacher presiding in the classroom. I know it is time, and it’s inevitable. Though I envisaged myself to walk confident and content, I walk in bashful and reticent. Though I envisioned myself to embody self-righteousness, I embody introversion. I look upon my peers. Instantaneously the surrounding environment is impeded, and I lay alone with my thoughts. A million contemplations envelope my mind about how to phrase what is to be said. What must be said. A tap from the teacher obstructs my train of thought. I open my backpack. It gapes open and I rustle around for my notebook. The teacher alerts the students to focus on me. My hands tremble as I endeavour to make out what is to be said. My breath quivers. I briskly realise how frivolous this is and I begin to frantically inscribe sentences upon my notebook. I hold my notebook up for all to interpret. This will make me or break me.
As my peers gradually come to terms with the truth, I see varying reactions, some flabbergasted and astounded, some flummoxed and discombobulated. But I can infer that all gather to congregate to a common inquiry, ‘Why can’t she hear?’ As I approach the desk assigned to me, all their beady little eyes are disturbingly fixated on me. They turn to each other and begin to confer. It seems for a split second their attention may lay off me, but instead they turn to me and signal at my notebook, I pass it to them, what will they inscribe too. Innuendos, foul remarks, it has no relevance, I’m accustomed to it.
It’s passed to me, I read, I fortify myself for what is inscribed, ‘Do you want to be friends?’
I am flabbergasted. All my life I have contemplated what it takes to conform to a world that won’t hear you? Where finding acceptance feels impossible. How do I uncover myself? Is all that is to it a group of liberal minds? Have I truly found my calling? I feel acceptance despite my dissimilarity. I reply instantly with a meaningful nod. They bequeath upon me friendship in which they have also bequeathed upon me fulfillment.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!