Dare To Be Different

Everyday is perfect. All days always go smoothly and I can always know what’s going to happen. We all wake up, get dressed catch the bus to school, catch the bus home, do homework and then have dinner, share what happened today and go to sleep. Everybody gets to have long blonde hair and neatly tied in a ponytail. It’s so easy and functional I couldn’t think of anything more simple and great. Today I do my morning routine, get the bus with everyone else and arrive at school. Of course the girl with pink hair doesn’t catch the bus. She does something different each day and it disrupts everything. I remember the day when she committed the crime she is famous for. So bad nobody utters her name.

Lavender came to school with her hair bright pink.

I remember being in rules and order class, Lavender as usual was sitting in her spot, but something was different, her legs were on the table! That was against the rules, everybody must sit with one leg over the other and they had to be under the desk. When our teacher Ms Strickland came in, we all stood up neatly and made sure our backs were straight. Lavender stayed seated. “Lavender, stand up this instant!” I remember Ms Strickland saying, Lavender did no such thing, she pulled something which I now know as a wig, right off her head to reveal shortly cut and bright pink hair. We all gasped in horror, this was punishable by expulsion from society. “Lavender Breaker, your hair is strictly against the law, please wait right there while we call patrol.” Ms Strickland said. Lavender stood up when the teacher wasn’t looking. She placed the wig on her head and walked off. Nobody knew where she had gone. Patrol walked into the classroom and they asked Ms Strickland which child needed to expelled. Ms Strickland got angry and shouted “why must you question a teacher? You’re the patrol, go and get her, she’s the girl with the bright pink hair!” Patrol looked at one another, I remember them asking for reinforcements, then they sprang into action ran out of the classroom.

They did not catch Lavender, she had convinced them to be different in any way possible.

I shove the memory from my mind, and stare at Lavender, a walking criminal who nobody dares antagonise. Everyone else keeps their distance, not wanting to be different. Nobody likes an outcast. I walked into school and as the door opened Lavender bumped into me which was the height of rudeness. She gave me a smile. “Hello Rachel,” I froze and forced a smile onto my face, “hey Lavender.” She saw my discomfort and pulled another wig off her head, I gasped, her long blonde hair tumbled out. “Dare to be different.” She said and passed me the bright pink hair wig. I looked at it for a second, and decided to put it on. I smiled, it felt good.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!