The Biggest Human Flaw

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

A sensational orange glow consumed the town that fateful evening. The sunset afforded every object in the plaza a bold shadow, the darkness of which contrasted elegantly with the vibrant colours enclosing it. Many stopped to stare in awe as the sun lowered slowly, marking the end of boxing day that year. Christmas was gone, and for the sixteenth season in a row, I'd spent it without my father.
He'd disappeared without a trace my first day of kindergarten, off on a ‘‘business trip’’. I knew the truth. He left to escape his responsibilities. Juggling his obligations as a devoted husband, loving parent and distinguished businessman proved too much. He'd given up, I’d accepted it. I had a girlfriend, a steady job; it was all behind me. But when I saw him that beautiful afternoon walking off into the horizon, dressed in that collared shirt and professional, black pants...all the emotion flooded back like a tsunami. An abrupt gust of wind shook the trees fiercely, I swear to mimic the overwhelming anger that began to boil inside me. There he was, without a care in the world, swaggering with a sickening mixture of confidence and nonchalance.
An impulse overcame my body as the sunset's beauty slowly faded and suddenly I was marching towards him. From behind, slowly I gained. I was close. Close to a man who brought me into this world and then left me to fend for myself. A man I hadn't laid eyes on in sixteen years, who’d never apologised. Eventually, I halted. What was I going to do, lecture him? Tell him about my heartache? I HAD moved on, and I wasn't letting my demons seize me now. But as I made to leave, he turned to face me. His eyes observed me for some seconds ere his pupils dilated. I don't know when the rage shifted to sadness, but my eyes had started to drip. His did too.
''Son.'' he croaked as fervency contorted his face.
We stared at each other for countless moments more, motionless, absorbing the situation. The sun was gone now and the streetlights flickered on. We were immersed in a lacklustre light, another attempt by the universe to externalise my inner sentiments. Slowly, he appeared to regain some presence of mind and straightened up. He gave me a firm stare, right between my eyes. Right into my soul the way only a father can. Then he said the quivering words…
''I'm sorry. I am so, so sorry.''
I vainly attempted to avoid softening my features but fell victim to what I can only assume was a potent combination of love and irrational forgiveness. The biggest human flaw, yet the greatest human quality. I walked the four steps that continued to separate us and embraced my father. Not my hero, nor my best mate. Not my spiritual guide through this twisted world and not even really a friend. But my dad, nonetheless. And he wasn’t getting away this time.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!