Far From Home

My arms were firmly tightened around my mother's, I looked around me, It was foggy. I couldn't see a thing but distant silhouettes of other children and their parents too, I could make out the face of one of the children, she was alone and looked lost. I feared that I would lose mum.
"Mum? Please never let go." I whimpered, I didn't have the strength to look at her, I felt weak.
She didn't answer or I didn't hear her, the sounds around the crowded space hurt my ears, I had already tried blocking them out, it didn't work.
How I wished I was back home, no big sounds that hurt my ears, especially the big ones that sound like a breaking wave, but louder. My eyes started to sting, I blinked a couple of times then closed them. My head was whirling and my mother was shivering. I remembered the strange men that spoke differently coming in, they had big spears and they shouted all the time.
A rough hand was placed on my shoulder, I slowly turned around and opened my eyes, I wished it was my father, he went missing.
"Let go!" I shouted, realizing it was not my father. His hand pulled me away from my mother and my hand slipped from her grasp. He shouted at me, I couldn't understand him.
"Who are you?!" I hissed at him, all he did was blink at me, confused but angry. I heard my mother in the background, and then I heard the crashing wave sounds, I was tired but I knew I had to stay awake.
The man looked weird, he was so pale that he looked like he was sick, my skin to his was like comparing dirt to sand. I looked back, I couldn't see anything because of the fog. I looked at the man, he looked grumpy, I was annoyed at him. I pushed his arm away and ran.
I ran in the direction we came from, not stopping. I didn't know we came a far way, It seemed like forever until I found where I was before.
"Mum?"
I collapsed, I haven't stayed awake for this long. My arms reached out as far as they could go, my eyes were watering.
"Mum!?" I clenched my fists and pounded the ground, I dug my fingernails into the dirt, I heard footsteps coming towards me.
I curled up and let the man pick me up again.
"Mum..."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!