Dancing shoes

“This is your five minute call Abbey” said the stage director. My name is Abbey Swan. I’m 14 years old and dance, dance all over the world! I’ve done dancing since I was only two years old.
“Abbey…Abbey, your on!” said the stage director.
“Oh right” I replied. I ran onto the stage and got into my position. The curtains opened and there I was before I knew it dancing, dancing my heart away. I loved dancing it takes all my worries away leaving me with happiness. I danced and danced until I could feel myself flying, up, up, up until I reached the clouds where I bathed in the warm sunlight.
I was interrupted from my thoughts when the dance was over. I quietly skipped off stage and back down to my dressing room.

“Abbey,” I heard my manager call. “Where are you?” she called again.
“I’m in here,” I called back trying not to sound too bored and miserable. A few moments later I heard footprints and the hard breathing of Shelly my manager as she entered my room.
“I’ve been looking for you everywhere,” Shelly said taking deep breaths in between words.
“I have news!” she said with such happiness I thought she was going to jump out of her shoes.
“Yes, yes,” I replied sharing the same happiness my manager did.
“You have been selected to try out for the International Academy of Dance.”
“WOW!” I exclaimed with happiness and joy!
“Tryouts are in one week so you better start practising” Shelly said in a tone of seriousness.
I started practising right away, all the moves I knew. I memorized them until they were perfect.

One week later there I was waiting for them to call my name so I could get up and show them my routine. I revised everything I was going to do and say in my head!
“Abbey Swan” One of the judges said “Your up”.
I stood up and took my position in the middle of the room and began to dance my heart away!
When I finished I sat down again waiting to hear if I got in.
“Nina Sparrow, Rachael Mcesther, Laurie Daniels, Sophia Damswood, Abbey Swan, Michelle Nilo and Nikki Spenser. Congratulations you made it to the next round!
“Yes” I called silently as I let out a sigh of relief.

The next day came and I was back at the studio for the last round of auditions. The time past nervously as they called out the names of people.
“Abbey Swan” said the announcer.
I got up and repeated my routine except I had a little more spring in my step.
I sat back down and watched all the other dancers dance with the same nervousness that I had. Finally the auditions came to a close.

“You all have wonderful talent but unfortunately we can only take five of you, so here we go” said the announcer.
She read five names but none were mine. I took a deep breath, maybe I will get in next year I thought to myself.
“I was so, so lucky to get here that it doesn’t even matter!” I said to myself again with a smile.

By Emma Swan 2005

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!