Late For School!

It was a gloomy, rainy morning and I was in the shower. I was thinking about a question that was proposed to me the day prior, ‘What is your favourite subject?’ I usually say history but then I thought to myself, ‘Do I really like history?’ I do like history but not as much as maths. I walked down to the bus stop and waited there for the bus to come. I brought out my maths book and started to do maths. I started with prime numbers and listed the first ten. Then I went on to fractions and multiples. I started to really like maths. Then I went onto the golden ratio, this one was a lot harder than the others. I was working on it for a very long time and then realised that I missed my bus! I looked at the bus schedule to see when the next bus came. The next bus came at 8:25 which was way too late. It came around to 8:25 and I caught that bus. I got off and had to walk the rest of the way. I was listening to music whilst I was walking. I got really tired and sat down and did more of the golden ratio and I almost got my head around it. I started to walk again but then I came across a real life math problem, what time shall I arrive at school and what subjects I missed. The first question was the hard one because I didn’t have the time with me. I started with how long does the bus take for me to get from my house to school which is around 30 minutes. I then take those thirty minutes then divide them by how fast the bus usually goes which averages 60 kilometres per hour, then I get how many minutes have past which is 20 mins. It is 8:45 so school started 5 mins ago. I would have thought that I would have been 20 minutes late but no. So I continued to walk the 3 kilometer walk to school but then I realised that I walked past school! So I started to walk back the way I came. I eventually got to school and I had to sign in at the office. I was very wrong about the time because when I looked at the clock, it was 12:03! I had missed out on maths and history! So I continued my day like normal but I realised that I had to catch up in the things that I missed. Luckily we were doing the golden ratio in maths so I could just show Mr Jacobson and say I was doing this when I was walking to school. But for history, we were talking about how maths and history are related. I just said to Mrs Tubman that you need to know how many years there are when that event occurred and theories about when the next thing like that will occur (If it was something to do with non man made disasters). So overall it wasn’t that big of a deal when I missed out on 3 hours of school (Apart from having to explain to Mrs Tubman and Mr Jacobson my answers)

So that is how I came to doing and liking maths a lot more.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!