Bad luck

BAD LUCK

It started like any other normal trip to a shop, but sadly it didn’t end like one. Our transportation to get there was on Roller-blades, I definitely regretted using them. Other than my brother and I, George (my friend) came with us. It was all going well.

Encouragement was flowing between each of us. There were happy remarks from everyone and it was all a ‘nice cup of tea’, as I liked to describe it. Jonathon and I even decided to share our money for a bigger size Slurpie and have half each. With all three of us on blades we were travelling at the same speed, until it came to a big hill, near the store. George and I made it to the top with out fuss, but when it came to Jonathon he had some trouble and started to curse me for repeatedly telling him how to make his way up the hill.

As we entered the Seven-Eleven store we both agreed not to argue. Jonathon said I was stupid and agreed in a sarcastic voice. I didn’t say anything in case a fight broke out; this was probably a smart thing to do. As usual Jonathon chose the flavours and smartly again, I didn’t argue. So with one big drink for us both to share and the sunny day it was, it would have looked to any stranger like a beautiful moment. If only they understood how long, frustrating and hard it is for an older brother to keep this picture happy, if only… after all the emotions I had held in, Jonathon was in a surprisingly good mood in the shop. I was quite proud of myself after that. I even offered to hold the drink. At this point I thought it was going to be a good day after all. The hard thing was how to get down the hill again without any fuss. Trying to make the matter easier, I suggested that George help Jonathon down because my hands were full. The situation became Jonathon and George at the bottom of the hill and me at the top with a large drink in my right hand. All was fine.

I carefully put down my brakes and started to roll slowly down the hill. I thought I would impress Jonathon by showing him I could go down the hill with out any brakes. It started off well. I looked over at Jonathan’s face. Sadly it was full of jealousy. I was coming up to where Jonathon and George were waiting. At their feet was a pile of sand, in a matter of seconds I came to a sudden halt. The force of the sudden stop sent me flying through the air like a duck with no wings that had been catapulted through the air. I stood up to the hysterical laughing of George and the angry face of Jonathon. The important thing was that I was ‘okay’ but that was only because of the protective equipment mum had forced me to wear before the trip. Other than a graze on my knee, I was basically unharmed. That was before I noticed I had no slurpy in my hand and I was really sticky. Before Jonathon had made the first move to physically attack me, I just hoped and hoped there were no pedestrians near to see the awful sight soon to appear. I’m telling you now I was as red as a ripe tomato because there were heaps of people adding to the circular ring that was forming around my brother and I, but who could blame them it would have been entertaining.

I started to wonder what would have happened if Maddie my sister had come as well as my brother. But that was enough time for awful images and regrettable arguments to flash into my mind. Because she is six years old and has to get her own way by her own demands. So I guess I did have some good luck that day after all by not bringing Maddie, but when I arrived home to the scorching hot, jealous face of Maddie, I wondered if maybe this had just been all together unlucky day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!