Dancing Disaster

I returned home to a dingy little apartment in downtown New York, I had just gotten back from a full day of hard studying for the next exam on the following day. I looked down at my well used g-shock watch and gasped as my only excitement for the day was in ten minutes, it was a party. My best friend Samantha had invited me in a pretty little pink envelope for her twenty first, I could not miss this.
After a hurried shower and careful picking of blue jeans and a button down dress shirt I rushed to the nearby night club. You had to be eighteen to enter, but it looked so run down I would have missed it if the bouncer wasn’t there, I checked my watch as a walk up to the stained glass doors, I was five minutes late. When I came close to the doors the bouncer stopped me and asked my name and for some identification, he looked at everything and looked me over then opened the doors and I get blinded by a laser, right before the music hits me light a bullet. A moment later I had regained myself and spotted the birthday girl, she was standing with all her girlfriends, but when she notices me she leaps up like a Giselle and gives me the biggest hug before dragging me over to listen the conversation about make up.
I sat and watched for the first hour of the party, snacking on the array of party food and drinking a shot or two. Only when I got up and started dancing did I notice the creaking of the floor it sounded like an old spooky house but I dismissed and continued to party on. The creaking got worse as the night went on and I told the bartender, an old lady who had probably run the place forever, but she dismissed it as I did. The music changed after a few minutes of thinking and Samantha had me in a slow dance before I could stop her, and there is no stopping her if she wants you to do something. Soon the cake was coming out and a group of people had moved all the tables in to put the cake on. I moved next to Samantha who just smiled cheerfully at me as the cake was revealed. It had white icing and since she was a history nerd it was a recreation of the colosseum. As the crowd moved closer with the cake the creaking sounded like the rumble of thunder, I had gone to get a drink and was returning when there was a massive CRACK as the floor splintered; I immediately dived forward to save Samantha, dropping my glass of wine and pushing her clear of the disaster zone as the floor gave out and I was fell into darkness landing with a thud. I awoke in a hospital room with Samantha asleep next to me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!