Keep On Walking

‘Keep your head down and keep on walking. Don't look up or start talking. If they see you, if they hear you, beware their fist coming at you.’
The mantra repeats itself in my head like the lyrics of my favourite song. Reminding me to be wary and keep my pace quick.
I turn the corner and let out a shuddering breath. They hover around these lockers like bees around flowers. No, not bees. Wasps.
I speed up my shuffling steps. I tighten my grip on my books. I prepare.
Suddenly I get shoved into the lockers. I have a death grip on my books so none have fallen. I push myself off the locker and keep walking. More like trudging.
Then I'm shoved again. A lot harder. My arms fly out to stop me slamming into the lockers. My books clatter lifelessly to the ground.
Before I can make a move, a hand clamps down on my shirt collar and my back is slammed against the locker. I recover quickly, holding in my groan.
I stretch my toes to try and reach the ground. They just scratch it.
I'm slammed again against the locker. I let out a hiss and wince. I glare down at my oppressor. Playing the frightened victim doesn't get you mercy. I've learned that.
He smirks up at me, his associates standing by his sides like they are magnets and he is metal.
He raises his fist, ready to pummel me. My gaze flickers to the crowd that has gathered in a semicircle. Staring. Watching.
My naive self believes that someone will step out from the crowd, their stance strong and empowering, and stand up for me. Save me. Reality is a harsh being.
I'm punch repeatedly in the face and chest. Feeling the bite, the sting, of pain for fractions of seconds before being overcome with numbness. He slams me against the locker one last time for good measure before letting me slump to the floor.
No one comes forward to see if I'm alright. Instead they dissipate. Shooting me long stares over their shoulders or whispering amongst themselves as they walk past. I’m accustomed to it.
Staying in my slumped position, I let my head lull back against the lockers. Their coolness seeping into my head and brain. Slightly relieving it. My eyes flutter shut as I let out a long exhale.
I was bleeding. My nose was stinging and my lip was throbbing. I could feel warm liquid running out of my mouth. Blood. It tastes metallic.
There was no one left in the hallway. All disappeared off to class or other stuff that kids do these days.
I suddenly have the urge to sing. Just to quiet the ringing in my ears and ease my convulsing brain. The first thing that came into my mind was my failed mantra. My voice was soft as I sung but it echoed in the silent hallway.
“Keep your head down and keep on walking…”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!