Never 18

I’m 17, running away from home with 500 dollars and a car. Nothing more sucks than being an adult so if I run away from my 18th birthday it’ll be like it never happened. I am going to Texas from L.A, only 18 hours of being in my Toyota Rav 4. I’m humming the song on the radio as I pull out of my parents driveway at 1:00 o’clock in the morning on Sunday, “My party’s tonight, it a shame I won’t be attending” I laugh. Setting the GPS is harder than I thought it would be, it keeps directing me to ‘Texas eats,’ a restaurant down the road, “Destination time 18 mins.”
“Damn it,”
“Destination time 18 hours and 34 mins.”
“That’s better,” I smile, independence feels good.
“EEEEEEEeeeeeKkkkkkkkkk!” Squeals the tyres of my car as the traffic light switches to red. “What a great start!” I think.

With only 11 hours left, I was starving, my stomach gurgles and turns. I look down at the glove box. A ring echoes through the box “No way!” I say astonished. Mum had left her phone in the car! I pull over the car at the nearest cafè. I open the glove box and see the phones last buzz. I listen to the voicemail. “Olivia Beth Johnson.” She spat, using my full name was a big threat. I breathed in as the voicemail continues, “ You can’t do this! it’s your birthday, you're not at any of your friends houses, the cars gone, your fathers losing his mind, just come home!”
“No!” I yelled, no one heard but it felt good to say something even if mum couldn’t hear. “Just a call would be nice.” The voicemail ended. I grab my purse and strut into the cafe to grab some breakfast and snacks for the day ahead.

“Welcome to TEXAS” a sign read as I drive past. I whip out mums phone and take a photo. I was about to press send when I remember. Mum was taking a business trip to Texas tomorrow.
“Stupid!” I think, surely she wouldn’t go if I was gone. If she found me there would be no point of this whole trip! “Oh no” I mumble.

Mum didn’t come, well not that I realised, living in Texas with 500 dollars was easy. Getting a job at Walmart was easy. Living without any of my old friends and family was hard. I’ve been living in my car for 7 months with mums phone ringing everyday, with the same message every time. “Come home”
“Buzz buzz buzzzzzz buzzzzzzz”
“Hello” I say shocked, did I really just answer the phone I’ve been ignoring for 7 months?
“Andrew it’s Olivia!” Mum yelled. “ I’m coming, where are you?” I hung up and sent her the Texas photo over text. That will help her, now all I have to do is wait. “Come and find me!” I whisper.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!