Natural Serenity

Water racing past my legs, the gloomy sky looming, forming shadows making a false sense of security. Howling winds taunting me as they twirl past with their icy blasts. Walking deeper into the sinking river bed a growing melancholy, nostalgic pit leisures in my empty stomach.

Whispers from the practically decimated natural fauna grasping for sunlight as the grey sky draws closer. Any beacon of light immediately being destroyed throughout the sky as angry clouds construct a blanket of darkness which covers everything. Glimpses of my childhood imposing themselves within my head of how this picturesque place once was.

*****

Native plants essentially glowing with a bright, rich green colour. Water streaming down the river taking any bad thoughts along with it. My family and friends entertaining themselves setting up camp along our favourite venue. The dancing fire illuminating the smiles of everyone sitting around it. Sparks floating further and further away disappearing from view. Everything aesthetically perfect as if nothing could split up this picturesque scene my family adores.

*****

Hades surrounds me in this old rundown serenity which is now all gloomy, dark and unpleasing to the eye, our perfect scene as it once was forever ago. This nostalgic pit aggressively growing larger and larger making it harder for me to stay here without the company of my family. Terrifying thoughts of sorrow as it connects to the river since my family never gather here after the hardship that hit my family.

Emaciated trees reaching out stretching for any chance of survival. Making it hard to believe how vibrant my favourite childhood holiday used to be. Walking up the river bank out of the freezing water, adverting my attention to the one thing that has remained the same from the years of absence.

An old, rusty, worn out metallic sign my grandfather had placed here when we first discovered this place. My shaking fingers reaching out to the 27 indented scratch marks we had carved in every time we arrived. All our names still perfectly placed onto the cold sign as though nothing had changed apart from my fathers. His letters vanished, only leaving behind a small trace of visibility of where they were once situated.

A single, ephemeral beam of light aggressively punctures through the darkness that had been located here for too long. As I look up the bright light hinders through the trees. Trees stretching in happiness as they feel the warm breath of the sunlight against their dried-up leaves. Sunlight illuminating this heaven I encountered as a child.

Walking back up the dirt path back to the glowing entrance everything makes sense again. Feeling the sharp gravel rocks beneath my feet, water dripping off my drenched clothes onto the path leaving behind traces of life. Shadows disappearing from the creases they engraved themselves into. Birds flocking out of the trees as they are reuniting themselves with their loved ones. Wind whispering past me instantly reflecting upon my emotions knowing this serenity will always be here.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!