False Hope

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

Sneaking over the mountains, the exhilarating winter sun heated the valley. Lifeless parrots awoken by the whispering water gushing down the rock wall, saturating those who dared come near. Abandoned somewhere between the vigorous trees and snow covered mountains lay the stranded valley silently begging those who remained for hope. Constantly reminding the single road that leads through, the power it obtains.
The fresh smell of life and infinitely different sounds leading to moments of hope before the all too familiar thump to the ground.
Scratched as the voice echoes past.
“You awake up there?”
And so, the day begins, no different to the one before, most likely no different to the next.
Hurrying out the back door avoiding interaction with others. Set off in search of a fresh start, without leaving the one place that feels complete. The track she knows better than the back of her hand shoots sparks through her body lighting her fire almost instantly.
The slam of the door echoed through the house. Robbing the kitchen of its voice.
“Off again.”
Suffocating under the harsh winds, praying for a single breath of air. The morning sun snatching the mountains blanket of snow. Vulnerable to the footprints which crush their bones, diminishing all hope each step at a time, yet saved by the comforting hug of fresh running water which flows from head to toe through the town, transforming with each drop.
Continuing to rise the crisp winter sum warms more of my blood each time it creeps higher over the horizon of mountains. Stealing the protection leaving nothing but my true self. Broken into a thousand pieces.
Drawn to the sudden unusual reflection of the young girl the drops rush to mirror her appearance. Providing all support they can without words convincing her to stay and keep them company. The silence saying more than a thousand words.
The music sounds of the river enters through my ears and pumps its way through my bloodstream clouding all thoughts. Confused on where to go, I look to the river for answers to unknown questions. With no response, I beg for something. Anything. I can’t bear the thought any longer.
Without warning, the sun is snatched from the town, replaced by the miserable grey sky and rain filled clouds, who threaten to saturate with any sudden movements. So everything freezes. My hands, feet, my entire body. Now more unsure of what to do. I sneak my way past by immersing into the water, which grabs my body into a tight welcoming hug.
Without warning, the familiar body falls like old times. I try to warm her body, which is as cold as the melted snow, which enters my blood through the falls. Without success, I send her off, drifting down towards home she doesn’t let go. She lays staring at the dancing raindrops which have begun to gracefully topple down.
Pure raindrops fall, allowing the exhilarating winter sun to rise over the mountain’s horizon.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!