Creatures

Finalist in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

The only sound was a piercing howl as it ripped through the woods. “What was that?” Blake asked himself. A hideous creature with long brown fur matted in blood, crashed through the trees and snarled at Blake. Its sharp claws could cut steel. He jumped up and started running. The creature’s thudding footsteps were growing louder and he could smell its rancid breath.
Blake had a stitch that felt like a thousand white, hot knives were stabbing him in the side. But he kept running until he was sure he had outrun the beast. Then a bush behind him rustled and he spun around. The creature was behind him, ready to pounce.
Blake whipped out his bow that he forgot he had, and shot it, piercing its heart. Blake was a twelve year old boy, but he was short for his age. He had grey eyes that you could get lost in if you stared into them for too long. His hair was short and blonde and it looked like rays of sunshine were coating his head. Blake wore a simple deer skin. The bow, on his back was made from a marble tree, a strong wood that would last him years. Blake calmed down as he looked around. He was not familiar with this part of the woods he was in. Then Blake realised...he was lost.
He was wandering around for a long time when suddenly he heard growling. Blake had run into the creature’s home! It hadn’t spotted him yet, but it was only a matter of time before he was going to be seen. He heard many howls. In a couple of seconds, Blake pressed his back up against a tree. A sharp branch cut into him and blood dribbled out of the cut. There was more than one creature! They were approaching fast. Blake had to act or he would be dead in seconds.
He started climbing the tree behind him, but Blake was too slow. “Aaaaargh!” Blake screamed as he was grabbed by a creature. Blake fought for his life, kicking the creature, but he was losing. Blake was slowly getting pulled down. Thud! He fell to the ground and braced himself. No claws ripped into his body. He slowly opened his eyes to see the creature standing over him. Suddenly the creature spoke in a low, gravelly voice. It said, “Why did you kill my son?”
Blake’s head was spinning. Questions whirled around his mind. “Sorry,” he said. “Apology NOT accepted!” the monster growled. As quick as a flash, it swiped at Blake. He dodged to the left, a fraction of a second too slow. A massive claw mark appeared on Blake’s face and he grimaced in pain. Thunk!! An arrow sprouted into the creature’s chest. It fell to the ground and Blake took a shaky breath. The bow and arrow just saved his life. Blake had won.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!