Sylvia's Secret

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

Moving through the long, wet grass. Jumping through the creek. Ears back, breathing heavily. Listening for the clicking sound and moving towards it. It’s coming from the back fence, where the paddock meets Mr and Mrs White’s farm next door.
Sylvia Jones was waiting by the fence, clicking her mouth and hoping that Topaz would come to her. Out of the long, wet grass Sylvia caught a glimpse of something moving slowly towards her. She smiled as she heard the hooves and saw the shiny, cream coat. Topaz walked to the fence and gave a soft snort as she gently nudged Sylvia.
Sylvia’s Mum thought horses were dirty creatures and that no nice girls should ride or go near them, but Sylvia couldn’t stay away from Topaz. She took off her loose dress and underneath were her jeans and t shirt.
She immediately mounted Topaz. She was familiar with riding bareback. She started off with a trot and moved her way up to a canter. Whenever she rode she felt so free and happy.
Her Mum always worked long hours but today she finished early. She was driving home when she saw something that in her mind was horrific! She saw Sylvia riding the neighbour’s golden horse and she felt betrayed. Immediately she went to the back fence and was screaming at Sylvia. She told Sylvia to go inside.
Sylvia was sent to her bedroom. She cried for hours until her face became red and puffy. Finally, her mum told her that dinner was ready. Sylvia and her mum both ate in silence and they didn’t even make up before they went to bed.
Sylvia was woken early by the sound of Mr and Mrs White. They were screaming out “HELP! HELP!” She leapt out of bed and put on her jeans, t-shirt and boots. As fast as she could, she ran outside to see what all the racket was about. It turned out that they had lost their young daughter, Adelaide, who was only 5 years old. Adelaide had been playing in her sandpit beside the house but had wandered off. Her parents were terrified she might drown in the creek, or fall and hurt herself, or even be kidnapped.
Sylvia wasted no time. She jumped the fence, immediately mounted Topaz, gave a kick and galloped away out of sight. As she rode she yelled “Adelaide” several times, but there was no response. About an hour later, trotting along beside the creek, Sylvia heard something hissing and then a dreadful scream. She forced Topaz into a gallop toward the sound, but the horse seemed nervous.
Then Sylvia saw what was upsetting Topaz. A deadly brown snake rearing up and hissing at little Adelaide, who looked frozen with fear. Sylvia dismounted Topaz and walked slowly toward the girl, keeping her eyes on the venomous snake. She used her voice to comfort Adelaide. She firmly gripped her by the hand and slowly walked her backwards to Topaz. Sylvia kindly helped Adelaide mount, told her to hold on tight around her waist and rode her home. She could feel the little girl snuggling and crying behind her.
When they arrived back at Adelaide’s house, her parents were searching the stables. Sylvia helped Adelaide down off Topaz and the little girl ran to her Mum and Dad for a long hug. Sylvia’s Mum was there too and Sylvia expected to be in big trouble, but her Mum walked straight over to her and said “Well done. I’m so proud of you. I guess horses aren’t that dirty after all.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!