The Midnight Yodel

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

Almost midnight, the shower curtain rustles as we carefully approach,
Could it be a ghost, a monster, a burglar or a … a yodelling cockroach?
"Sorry for the noise," he said, "Treetop Theatre's Talent Show is in an hour,
I need to beat the Bed Bug bass player so I'm rehearsing in your shower."
"Watch me as I yodel and finish with a triple turn and high kiiiiick--"
Oh no, what a catastrophe, the floor was too slippery and slick!
"OUCH!" cried the cockroach, holding his tiny leg. "I think I have a sprain!
How can I defeat the reigning champion when I'm feeling so much pain?"
"Don't worry. Rest for a minute. We'll come up with another plan," we said.
So we nursed him then carried him to the yard in a cosy matchbox bed.
Midnight, at Treetop Theatre, the Tapdancing Centipede was second place,
Then the cockroach yodelled and overtook the current leader playing bass.
Bravo! Our insect friend is the champion and will star in a new musical.
Who would ever expect a hurt cockroach could win with one incredible yodel!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!