Paddocks

Black rolling clouds filled the sky and rain belted down on the stable’s rooftop, as if the storm would never run out of tears. Ally began pursuing her dream of riding a horse when she was only four years old. Crystal was a white horse who was Ally’s best friend and number one go to. When she felt like talking about all the things that had happened in her day, she didn’t care at all for one moment that Crystal couldn’t talk back. She was a great listener.
Riding Crystal was Ally’s wish being granted everyday. Saddling her up and getting prepared to jump on her back and gallop away freely, excited her so much she got butterflies in her tummy. Even though the weather was terrible, to Ally and Crystal it might as well have been a beautiful, sunny day. They never let the conditions stand in the way of their daily ritual of riding.
Crystal and Ally were so connected and would always ride as one. They had a favourite paddock to gallop around, where the dirt was soft beneath Crystal’s hooves, and they had the space to be free. The pair trotted down along the riverbank towards the paddock, the way they always had.
The heavy rain was still pelting down. They heard loud gushes of water coming from up ahead. Trotting closer and closer they realised something didn’t look right. Water was flooding the paddock from a section where the river had burst its banks. In that moment they instantly saw that it was far too dangerous to continue their journey. They would have to turn back and head for home.
The stables weren’t where the pair had planned to spend their day. Time was ticking by and they had to make a decision whether to leave it for the day, or find another paddock. The answer was easy; find another paddock.
They left the stables and decided they needed to move away from the river paddocks. They crossed the road and rode down the laneway towards the back of the property.
As they moved from a trot into a canter, Ally could feel the force of the rain stinging her cheeks and making her eyes squint. Dealing with blurred vision, Ally knew she could trust Crystal, delivering them safely to their destination.
Cantering where puddles of water splattered all over the laneway, Crystal would have to dodge these with great precision or injury could strike. Twenty four puddles were dodged but they made it through the bouncy journey.
Almost there, lush green grass appeared into view, and the suns beams of light led them to where they were headed. The storm was finally passing.
As they rode through the wooden gate into the paddock, they looked up and saw a stunning rainbow and their daily dream had come true. Finally, their special moment of the day had come, and they could both enjoy galloping around the soft green grasses, of a new favourite paddock.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!