Dark

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

It's dark; so dark, that I couldn't even see my hands when they were right in front of my face. Try as I might, I couldn't see anything, it was like a black void - endless.
When I moved my legs to stand, I heard the clinking of metal on the ground, which made me realise that there was a cold object encasing the entirety of both my ankles. I reached out and felt the metal that was holding me captive, and discovered it was chains. This caused a rise in my already high anxiety. To try and calm the swelling of the feelings inside me, I checked the length of the chains, and it seemed to be long enough to at least attempt to walk around the space I'm in.
Now that I was somewhat confident in standing, I brushed along the wall with the palm of my hands, leaning on it for support. As I started to drift along the wall beside me, I tried to do it as quickly as my legs could go. After a couple of moments of movement, my head struck something hard, but smooth. Assuming that this was the connecting wall, I placed one of my hands on it and started to move across the adjacent wall. Being careful where I laid my hands. As I kept close to the structure in front of me, I heard a clunking sound and almost fell forward. My leg was stopped from stepping further into the room I occupied.
As I went back the way I came, I noticed something odd. A part of the wall didn't feel the same as the rest of it. I knocked on the area to discover it was hollow. I began to be hopeful of the chance to escape the darkness surrounding me. The hope I felt made me frantically knock the space around, to see how far it reached. The more I tapped, the more hopeless I felt. What I found was only a small piece of wood that seemed to cover a hole. I didn't want to give up just yet and tried to remove the plank of wood. I pulled and pulled as hard as I could, so hard that I felt the pain of my fingers tearing apart. I kept going despite the overwhelming pain. I continued to pull until I finally succeeded but lost the balance I had and fell backward. Pain shot through my back, but even with the injury of the fall, I wanted to see what was behind the cover. I sat up and crawled to the light shining through the hole. I quickly kneeled in front of the hole to make it eye level. What I saw was people; people going about their daily lives.
I breathed in and screamed "HELP!" but what came out was a broken and raspy bit of air. I attempted to yell out for anyone to help. No one would because no one could hear me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!