Soaked

I scrambled to my feet from the cold, soggy deck boards. The waves smashed against our boat, and I fell once more. I retrieved my flashlight, and shone it over the ship. And it was at this moment that my life literally flashed before my eyes. Time seemed to stop on the millisecond I saw it. This chunky, stubby, black shining tube hit the top of the ship, and the sound must have sent me deaf. We were all blown at least 75 metres into the sea, followed by the ship’s debris.

It was all too quick to understand or see properly. Everything flashed and sped up and whirled in a motioning way. I gasped for air, lungs stinging, as I leapt out from under the water, trying to catch up with this scenario.

And then it hit me. A huge chunk of the ship’s hull bashed my head and several others and I was knocked out cold. Would I survive? I was not sure, but I could still think, just not move. I was gradually getting more and more worried. I was screaming silently at myself, WAKE UP!! COME ON!! But there was nothing I could do.

And then I felt it. This warm, tingling sensation rushed through and over my body. I felt like I was tumbling, or rolling, and then as soon as all this had happened, it stopped. The sound died away and I could feel soft sand. And other people sitting up or coughing. All I could see was black, though. Just black. I was still knocked out, or dead. Once again, I wasn’t sure. And then came a comforting voice breathing in my ear, Josh! Josh! Wake up Josh! But I was confused.

It sounded a lot like my mum! I was still soaking wet, and then another voice joined in.

It was my dad? Now things were getting weird. I was far across the world on a mission with my crew and fellow soldiers. How could they have possibly got to wherever I was, let alone find me. I’d never told me which country I was heading to.

I felt like I was being lifted. And then a violent shake ruffled my clothes and hurt my brain. I started stirring. I felt like I was being dragged somewhere now. What the heck was going on?

Now I could see light slowly slitting through the blackness, like a sword cutting through a pirates neck.

And then a hard, stinging, solid slap whipped me right across my left cheek, and I was wide awake. But I wasn’t at a beach. Or an island. Or the hospital. Or the country I had been fighting in! I was in the bathroom, back at my home, parents by my side.

They looked very oddly crossed, but soon enough I came to my senses. I’d done it again. I’d wet the bed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!