Am I Pretty

The blood stained the white bed sheets as the motionless body lied there, supposedly…. Breathing. The lights flickered as the asylum seemed haunted. Voices filled the halls, but one particularly stood out. You could see all the dead people, and in the corner, was a woman, just staring. She started to speak, her voice so soothing. I have heard of her before. Once you listen to her question, you are under her sight…
Halloween night, 1965, 7:00 pm
Children ran around the block, knocking on doors, asking for lollies. After the night had finished, a creepy figure crawled out of the sewer. The dark person had a mask on covering her mouth. A little boy noticed her standing outside. He went to his mother and pulled her to the window. “Mum! Mum! Look at the woman standing out there! I’m going to go talk to her!” excelled the little boy. He ran out to the woman and his mum gave him a look that meant, ‘you stupid child’.
“Hello! What’s your name?” asked the little boy. “You look nice and cool. Will you be my mum?”
“May I ask you a question? Am I pretty?” she asked.
“Yes! Definitely!” Slowly the woman pulled down her mask.
Am I Pretty now?!!!!” she asked with a huge grin on her face, now showing her slit mouth. The little boy screamed. “Let’s make you as pretty as me!” She slit his mouth and stabbed him in the stomach.
Screams echoed around the neighborhood until they descended into souls rising to the heavens.
His mother silently whimpered, her baby boy, now gone. “Who is she?” she asked herself. She rushed over to the old and untouched computer room and searched, ‘slit mouth woman’. Kuchi-sake Onna? What did this mean? What does she do? She continued her search with a bunch of useful information. ‘Kuchi-sake Onna, also known as slit mouth woman, was an innocent woman who lived in Japan. Everyday, she would ask the same question to everyone. ‘Am I pretty?’ Of course, everyone said yes, she was the most beautiful woman in Japan! Her husband got sick of her asking the same question everyday to everyone, so he put an end to it. He called over his wife and just before she could ask him a question, he slit he mouth, ear to ear. “Who’s going to think you’re pretty now?!”’
In shock, the mother called her 17-year-old daughter downstairs. “Look out there,” she stated. “Your brother is dead, and I need you to go to the police station for me.”
“Why can’t you?” Stephanie protested. “Oh right. You’re paralyzed. Forgot.” She ran off to the car and drove away as fast as she could. Eventually, she met her demise. The car broke down half way to the police station. Great. She had to walk the rest of the way.
The police station of the town was finally in sight, until Stephanie saw her. Kuchi-sake Onna. “HEY! Am I pretty?”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!