Escape

“Well at least last year we didn’t break down” Gran said as Mum pulled over. “Bad news, I think we’ve run out of steam!” Dad said as he turned around and smiled at me. “Simon’s in town though, he should be able to help!” Mum grabbed her phone and dialled his number. Great, I didn’t even want to go to summer camp and now I had to sit in the car and wait for Uncle Simon to drive and bring someone to help us. I wasn’t far from losing my mind, 4 hours with mum, dad and gran singing the wheels on the bus. There was one point when I actually yelled “I’m 13 not 5!”. That was weird because I never yell.

About 40 minutes later, the phone rang. “Brenda, I’m just down the road with fuel!” I could hear Simon's voice, ruffled from the bad reception. “ Ok, Kim can you stay here. Gran, Dad and I are going to meet your uncle just down the highway. Stay here!” Mum said annoyed, “Ok”. I roll my eyes but still make sure that no one sees me. I’m already in trouble so I really don’t want to make Mum angry. Summer camp is going to be horrible! Kids are probably carrying weights for adults, being servants! Just the thought made me shiver. After 5 minutes of waiting I decided to get some fresh air. I attempted to open the door, but it was locked. Then I realised that mum had left the keys in the car. They were on the front seat, just lying there. I tried to climb through but when I tried to grab it I knocked a lever. I didn’t think much of it, so I grabbed the keys and opened the door. Suddenly, the car began to roll.

Normally, I would not be worried. But, I was very worried. Because I was on a hill the smallest movements would make me roll all the way down the hill. The car began to roll faster, then faster and soon I was flying down the highway with no seatbelt on, nothing was protecting me. I was frozen in fear.

I opened my eyes to see the prickly grass under me, I could see ants in the sandy part of the dirt. I was hurt, badly. But not bad enough for me to cry or to stop and lie on the ground. I stood up and brushed the sand and dirt off me. This was good, I could escape. I could avoid summer camp! I could run for the hills and start a new life. No school, no homework and no one to boss me around. So that’s what I did, I ran for the tallest hill. Exhausted and in pain I limped up the hill. When I got there I threw myself onto the soft, bright green grass. I had escaped.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!