The Mountain's Top

THE MOUNTAIN'S TOP

The wind pierced Evie’s ears, and Cookie purred. She looked at him, a ball of soft brown fur. “Now we’ve escaped the orphanage, I’ll seek shelter for us both.” Evie mumbled. Cookie was the magical stray cat she had met in the cellar, and the one who had helped her escape. Evie offered him a soggy fish and he took it, munching away. Evie then took her own loaf of bread, from the bag Cookie had stolen from the orphanage kitchen, and nibbled it herself. She broke the rest to save for morning and put it in her bag. Suddenly, Cookie purred. Evie whirled around, spotting him pawing a piece of paper. She tugged it out and patted the snow off. “A map!” she exclaimed. Cookie had no idea what that meant, but guessed it was good. . “There’s supposed to be a cave above us,” Evie said, “so, let’s go there and rest. Cookie hesitated. More climbing? But he nodded, and the companions trudged up.

Soon, they came up to a hole in the rocks, which obviously was the cave. Evie stepped in and froze as a howl echoed off the walls. Wolves, Evie thought. She clutched her dagger. And sure enough, a pack of wolves bounded out. Evie blinked three times at Cookie, signalling him to use his magic. The tiny cat squeezed its eyes. Evie realised. “His strongest power yet.” The wolves started yelping and howling, as if even breathing air would mean certain death to them. The one closest to Evie had already slumped unconscious. Evie threw her dagger at the ones who were not yet dead. Soon, the whole pack was either dead or in too much pain to move.

The companions explored some more and Cookie spotted some shiny yellow stuff and meowed. Evie skipped, light-toed, towards him and gasped. “Yes, Cookie! Gold! We’re Rich!” she exclaimed. And she stuffed the rings, crowns, goblets, coins and necklaces into her socks and shoes and pockets, setting off happily with Cookie.

And if you wonder what became of them, well, they managed to buy a house and become explorers to find even MORE places. And believe me, even though they spent lots of money to have a house and become explorers and travel the world and buy food, they still had enough money to buy a million other cats and all their toys!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!