The Land I Once Knew

The sun was boiling my body, as I walked along the dusty road trying to find a town. My clothes were torn, I felt parched and I haven’t eaten in three days nor have I slept. I saw cars zoom past blowing dust into my face, as I dragged myself along pushing myself to continue. I felt my legs start to wobble, tears filled my eyes, but I wiped them away and walked on my knees and hands watching out for prickles and sharp rocks, along the side of the road. A few hours passed and the sun began to set. Haunting memories started to fill my clouded mind as I began to remember that where there was darkness there was the wickedest creatures that show no mercy and will try to kill anything if it means they can get food. An unbearable cold temperature began to cover the land with every plant shrivelling up to protect itself from the cold. I felt like a thousand eyes were watching me and when I went to turn around, I saw nothing. The creatures cannot let themselves be touched by the light or it would scorch their skin with unimaginable pain. I started to call out “Hello…anyone” although I knew no one can hear you out in the middle of a desert like area as the sun was setting. My walking pace increased as I saw one of the creatures slowly materialise from the ground. The creatures looked like a snake and a wolf had merged together forming a demon that can haunt anyone. The sun was almost gone with very little light left. I felt my heart sink into my chest with the feeling of crying. I couldn’t control my emotions as I kept walking, then as I heard one of the creatures give a roaring hiss, I began to run, as they started to chase me. Memories of my life came flashing back to me, both bad, good and the ones I treasured most. I heard the creatures getting close. I felt like I was choking on my emotions as I experienced the pain again as if I was seeing the people I loved most die. I tripped over a rock, falling to the ground with a big thud. I used my hands to try and pull me along but instead I found myself screaming in anger and sadness. I sat back up crawling to my knees, crying as I felt the breath of one the creatures on my back, it didn’t hesitate and immediately grabbed one of my legs and started to pull me towards a place where it can devour me, but as it was taking me away I heard a familiar voice “Don’t give up, keep trying…please for me.” I looked over to where the voice was coming from and I saw an image of the one girl I loved most. I started to see things differently, from the dark desert it started to turn into a blue room with my girlfriend sitting next to my hospital bed. “Where are we?” I asked with a weak voice. My girlfriend looked up at me with shock on her face and tears filling her eyes as she cried, hugging me not letting me go. “I thought I lost you” she whispered into my ear. I felt my own eyes grow wet as I felt relieved and happy that what I was seeing was real, but as I looked over at the door, I saw one of the creatures standing there disappearing with the word death fading away…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!