What Lurks Beneath?

Abandon ship! Abandon ship! We were sinking! The bedside lamp hit me and I was out cold.

As I opened my eyes, I realised that I was under the surface of the ocean. I swam for my life towards the surface. At long last, my head was above the ocean, the sea was aboil in fury like the very devil itself. The next thing I knew I was looking at the ship; it was abound in flames and had a cracked hull. I doubt it would float freely again. Then I noticed another thing: the ship was being thrown around by massive tentacles!
The tentacles were lyon blue with darker smalt blue suckers. Despite the fact that I wanted to save my friend, Arthur, I knew I had to save myself first. I had never felt this fed up and miserable in the history of my whole life! After a while, I started looking for something to float on. I did a full 360o turn and found a bit of old timber floating there and clambered on. After just sitting, I started thinking about my life before I came on this foreboding voyage. I am ten years old, I have an older brother and a younger sister. I have a Mum and a Dad, but I am the only one on this boat in my family. We (my family) never had any money to spare. That was why I was smuggled on to this ship by our family friend Arthur. He was so caring, always sympathetic and understanding.

Then I thought of what had happened on the wooden, unstable wreck of a ship. It had happened so quickly, seven days into the voyage, the captain sent down a diver (to look for the hoard of wealth that lay submerged at the bottom of the ocean). That didn’t last long; the last thing we heard from her was “HELP ME SOMEONE PLEASE THERE’S SOMETHING DOWN-”. That was all we heard. The last word was muffled but probably was “HERE”.

I knew I needed to save the ship.

On my bit of wood, I managed to save 13 people and found some more wood for them to float on.
When the boat was in the water, I jumped on it and climbed on the deck. No one was on the boat so I figured that they jumped off the port side (where I didn’t check). As I grabbed a harpoon gun, a colossal tentacle grasped me and dragged me under!
THUNK (that’s the sound of a book closing). “That’s enough Dylan” I say (its 70 years later and my story’s a book). “But Grandpa, please finish the story.” “Don’t worry I promise that we can finish it tomorrow night. And besides, you need to go to bed!”. “Fine” he grumbles, “good night Grandpa”. I chuckle as he walks off, he doesn’t realise it’s true. And without another thought, I follow him to bed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!