Sarajevo's Symphony

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

In the blink of an eye, everything disappeared. Her ability, her reliability, her mobility, and her identity. Without warning the object whizzed down to the world, not worrying where it went or who it wounded. If only it did have a mind of its own, a heart, to turn away from the pain and suffering it was going to cause. She screamed, using all her energy to reach out to the old man. The more she willed herself to move, the more her feet sank into the trembling ground. She couldn’t turn her head as the silhouette disintegrated, each speck that once contained personality and life drifted into the air, losing all meaning. But not to her. Though the pain ripped her apart limb from limb, the only thing she could feel was the numbness that comes from losing someone, someone who relied on you, someone dear.
The woman sat up in shock, willing her eyes to stare into the blinding light to erase the ghost of a face from her mind. Looking down at her half complete body, it brought her back to reality. Her body was a puzzle missing the edges, which may as well be no puzzle at all. Gazing at her remaining arm and leg, she gave into emotion. A puzzle couldn’t hold itself together without the edges, and she couldn’t hold herself together without living freely… She had to leave.
After a few hours, Zora arrived at a strange sight. She hobbled towards the sea of strangers, all standing silently in the street. People didn't stare at her as she passed, which was strange. But then she heard why, just a hint at first, but soon the notes gingerly flowed through the sea, causing the first waves of emotion. Some stood in awe, others let their tears pour out like the music. Zora’s confusion was clarified as she saw a man sitting in the middle of the street… with a cello?
Suddenly, the music overpowered everything. She was transported back to a familiar hall, and a familiar face. Her father was smiling, smiling because of the music. The enchanting symphony swept through the crowd filling the hall with astonishing sounds. It was so beautiful. She could almost see the notes as they gracefully danced through the air, drowning out the noise of what was above them. The symphony transformed into an epiphany, she looked at him once more.
Without warning, it whizzed down to the world, not worrying where it went or who it wounded. She couldn’t turn her head as the silhouette disintegrated, each speck that once contained personality and life drifted into the air, losing all meaning. But not to her. Zora knew deep down that his death wasn't her fault. She needed to accept that, and accept her circumstances. She knew what she had to do now. She would forgive herself. The final tear dripped down her face, and Zora let reality take its course.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!