The Rainy Day

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

The sound of Maisie’s claws scratching the cupboard was starting to frustrate Victoria. There wasn’t one cloud in the sunny sky, but Victoria was gloomy. As her nanna napped, she sat at the window with her chin in her hands, thinking about how she disliked sunny days.
Although she loves swimming and porpoising through the waves like a dolphin, Victoria has no pool and doesn’t live close to the beach. She’d love to kick a ball around in the grass but the last ball she owned became so dirty and deflated that Maisie the cat mistook it for her own toy, and dragged it into the bushes for it never to return.
Maisie doesn’t like sunny days either. She gets too hot and hides under her favourite red velvet chair. Unlike humans who can take off their blankets, Maisie was stuck with a permanent quilt of thick, cream coloured fur. She becomes frustrated and grumpy when the sun is as hot as a burning oven.
Outside, Victoria saw little droplets of rain forming on her window. Excitedly she began watching them, guessing which ones would reach the bottom first. “Yay, I got it right!” Victoria shouted for only herself to hear. Within a few seconds, Victoria eagerly dressed in her navy gumboots with yellow spots and a deep blue raincoat. When Maisie heard the rain she hopped into her wicker basket, and once Victoria was ready she collected the basket and her red polka dot umbrella, and excitedly skipped out into the rain being careful not to slip.
Victoria ran directly to the dead, barren patches of water-filled grass and stomped and jumped. As the scent of rain whiffed past her nose, her lungs filled with fresh air. Maisie was already splashing around in the shallow puddles, spraying up the dirt and turning her creamy coloured coat a dark, dirty brown. Victoria joined in and was also sprayed with slimy, murky mud. The muddy water started to fill her gumboots, splashing all the way to her deep blue raincoat. As the rain fell heavier and heavier, she gained more energy and began to spin in circles with her arms outstretched to the grey gloomy clouds, and all her worries floated away.
Boom. Crash. ZAP!
It had begun to storm and the lightning electrified the sky. Maisie sped through the puddles, leaping into Victoria’s arms. They continued to play and splash around for what seemed like an eternity. This was pure happiness!
Suddenly they were interrupted by the sound of their rusty, squeaky gate. It was Victoria’s parents returning home from a long day at work. Soon after arriving, her mum came out with her raincoat on, holding a gift bag and called out to Victoria. Victoria excitedly ran to look into the bag…
Inside was a beautiful grey ball painted with an image of a cloud. She absolutely loved it because it reminded her of the ball she lost, and it was also her favourite colour - the colour of the rain.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!