The Escape

He ran through the silent alleyways. He knew it wasn’t easy to do this, hardly anyone had succeeded. A quick look back assured him that his new friend was close behind, galavanting along like she was participating in a fun game. Escaping the colosseum had taken him only a few hours to plan, but that was only because he had the logical and practical thinking of a thousand scientists.
He remembered how he had met his companion…. The dog had been scheduled to fight with him in a few days but he wasn’t going to let that happen. She was an innocent animal and had brought him some true happiness amongst all the chaos he had been involved in. There wasn’t enough time to think about that though. All he had to do now was carry out the rest of his plan. If he could only get to the river before dark...
“Marcellus!”
He turned his head at the sound of his name, and then he saw her. She had a silken white dress on, and a rusty metallic belt.
“Please do not leave without me Marcellus!” she called from the balcony above.
He looked away. He shouldn’t take her. No. Then he heard them - the guards, if they saw her with him-
“I’m coming with you.” Her voice was stern.
She had jumped of the balcony, it was quite high for a lady. He was surprised at her athleticism.
“Do not look so surprised, lad.”
What did she say? A sudden change of attitude had him even more surprised.
“What?” She snapped. “I was trying to be romantic, I thought it would make you listen, obviously not. I am coming with you Marcellus, and I can be your second pair of eyes.
“I think I’m good with two. I also don’t want you to get hurt, it's dangerous and they’ll come after you as well. I don’t want you to get hurt, Aelia.” He repeated.
She started walking down they alley, towards the river.
“what are you doing?”
“We don’t have all day, and look, the guards are coming, and last time I checked you were running from them with that utterly mangy mutt of yours.”
The dog was drooling and her tongue was flopping out. Aelia was correct though, they couldn’t stand here all day, and she had tried to help him escape this first time, so all he could do was follow her. They ran down the alleyways and out into the fields, passing plenty of people on the way. Some men tried to grab them, but they were fast enough. The river was coming into view, so close.
“Just up ahead we can cross the river.” Marcellus said.
Aelia was determined, they all sped up, including the dog. When they got to the river, they saw the forest on the other side, it was so dark and uninhabited. If they went in, they couldn't come out.
With one look back, the cool water surrounded their feet.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!