The Golden Stallion

Once on a farm in the middle of the outback there was a legend. A legend of a stallion so great he ruled this foreign land. The stallion’s mane was as red as fire and his skin as soft as cotton. He owned a herd of outback horses who came from far and wide. They called him Golden of the West, the prize of all horses – he was the golden stallion.

On that farm lived an 11 year old girl named Lucy Brown, her father Tim owned the finest cattle ranch in all the land. He owned 4 strong geldings and one quit stallion. Lucy loved her home. Every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday Lucy would set off to school. The other days Lucy would stay home and help with the ranch. She loved all animals but she loved horses the most. She thought of them as gods born to rule the earth but out of all horses, she loved her quiet stallion the most. His name was Sundance, a palomino pony who Lucy loved to ride to new places. She loved the story of the golden stallion.
One day there was word a fine herd crossed the town so all the great riders rode out. They rode for one reason – they were poor people looking for money to feed there families. Lucy’s dad went and she begged her dad to let her come.
“Fine go saddle up Sundance and meet me back here,” he called. “Yes dad,” Lucy replied happily. She turned to walk.
“Oh and Lucy, “ Shouted Tim, “bring your lasso.”
Lucy skipped into the stables and put Sundance’s bridal on. She whisped to him, “we’re going to find you a friend.”
Lucy waited patiently for her dad to come. Finely she saw him coming with his beautiful horse Boomerang, a paint who looked like he had patches of white glued on everywhere.
Tim set off at a stunning pace and Lucy galloped behind him. Lucy hoped the herd was the golden stallions. Sundance was neighing out to the herd who were calling back.
“Sundance!!!” Lucy shouted, “stop you will scare them.” As soon as they got close, Sundance cried loudly and herd all galloped off. Lucy dismounted. “Sunda..” but she was interrupted because Sundance went racing off after the herd.
“Sundance come back!” Lucy shouted so loud Tim had to block his ears. Lucy was upset she turned and said to her dad, “We have to get him back.”
The next day Lucy saddled up on Maxximas who was a white under sized thoroughbred. A drip of water slid down her hat onto her face and onto the ground, “Oh no,”she said.
Two seconds later the sky was grey the rain was getting heavier but Lucy wouldn’t give up. When they got to the village, lightning was striking everywhere.
“This way, “ Lucy’s dad said as he led her into the forest. CRASH. Tim’s horse bolted with him. Another huge strike and Lucy found herself falling off Max and then saw Maxximas run after her dad. Lucy rose from the ground, “Hello?” Her voice echoed, she heard a faint neigh. She could see a shape slowly approaching, “Sundance ?”… “is that you?” “Sundance!” she moved towards him and gasped as she looked behind him…a flick of a red mane….the Golden Stallion stood stock still. More movement, and Tim gently placed a rope around the great Stallion’s neck.
The legend was real Lucy thought to herself in disbelief.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!