A Dark Beautiful Day

A Dark, Beautiful Day
Ypres, Belgium, 1914. Bullets rained from the grey sky. The ground was built from mud and the blood of fallen people. Friends. Enemies. Soldiers
Conall faltered across the fallen landscape with his brother, Craig. Their broken boots sunk into the ground on each step. “The base is further up, we’ll make it” cried Conall in his weak and tremulous voice. “I can’t go on any further” coughed Craig. “Come on” replied Conall. They tracked further and after a while sat down on the wet ground to drink water. CLICK. The noise of a gun being loaded was heard. They looked around the horizon and saw nothing but hills. Conall was staring at an old broken building further away. He knew he saw something move.
“Adalrich!” yelled the General. Adalrich was a German soldier forced to enter the army because his father claimed it would bring greatness to the family. “Herr” said Adalrich in response to the General. “Scout ze area! We must find ze British. If you stumble upon them, begin ze attack”. Adalrich hiked for hours, snow began to fall, the cool air blew on his face. Must find British army. He had a job to do. Adalrich looked up at the broken sky which lit his path, seeing an old building up ahead, he continued moving. When reaching the building he saw two shadowed figures on the ground, two British soldiers. He pulled out his rifle and cocked the trigger.
“GERMAN! GET DOWN” Conall hit the ground, two shots were fired. He was fine, he looked to his brother. Blood. Craig died on that field with other nameless soldiers. Conall ran into the hills to shield himself. The shooting stopped. The hills echoed with the wind. Conall’s heart was thumping. He heard the crunch of footsteps coming towards him. He saw the German soldier and ran again. The soldier started shooting again. Conall placed his hands on his ears. The bullets ringing in his ears. He lost the German and collapsed onto the ground.
Adalrich had used all the bullets in his rifle. No matter, he had a pistol in his pocket.
Conall also took a pistol from his side pocket to arm himself.
In Adalrich’s head everything was loud. He could hear his own heartbeat. He found Conall.
Conall had his gun towards Adalrich. He wasn’t firing. Why when his brother was dead.
Adalrich also stood there. Why wasn’t he shooting?
Adalrich and Conall were both scared. They weren’t fighting this war for themselves; they were fighting because they were ordered to. They both didn’t want to hurt anyone. This wasn’t their war. At that moment, they both heard a sound they hadn’t heard in forever. Singing.
“Sie singen Weihnachtslieder” said Adalrich
“Christmas Carols” said Conall
Conall remembered, it was the 25th of December. Christmas Day.
The British and Germans came together, for one day. A day without war, a day of peace.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!