A Different World

“Goodnight,” my mother says.
“Goodnight,” I mumble.
The door closes. That’s the last thing I hear before I fall into a deep sleep.
I wake up, a bright light shining in my eyes. It gradually disappears, and once it’s gone I slowly open one eye. I’m amazed at what I see. My bed’s floating, surrounded by thick, grey fog.
“I must still be sleeping,” I say, pinching myself to wake up. But I’m still there.
I step off my bed, unaware there’s nothing below my feet. I scream as I rapidly fall through the air. After a while I collapse on the ground with a big CRASH.
Slowly the fog clears revealing a wide, open field with hills stretching out across it.
“How’d I end up here?” I wonder as I slowly turn around. My thoughts are interrupted by a sudden, loud male voice.
“Another one?” he asks.
I search for where the voice is coming from. I gasp as I realise there are frozen bodies around me.
“A lot of people have come here,” he says.
“How’d I get here? Where am I? Where are you?” I ask.
“Look around,” he says, “and you’ll find the way back home.”
I walk up a hill, scanning the ground for clues. CRUNCH! I’ve stepped on a piece of paper. I pick it up. It says… Your clue’s waiting in the clouds. I look up, thinking hard. “But nothing’s in the clouds, except…my bed!” I look around, hoping to find a ladder.
“In this world,” the voice says, “the rules of gravity…do not apply.”
I start floating up to my bed.
“AARGH! Why’re you doing this?”
“It’s the only way,” he replies mysteriously. Again, I’m greeted by fog.
I realise there’s a creature appearing in front of me. She has claws, horns on her head and devilish blood-red eyes.
The fog drifts away, replaced by black clouds and lightning. There’s a scary – almost deathly – feeling in the air.
She speaks, revealing sharp fangs. “You’re just a clueless brat! Your future’s dark, like theirs…” She stares at the frozen bodies below. Her lips curl into a grin. “They’re victims of the EVILEST spirit in the UNIVERSE!”
My mind’s racing and my heart’s beating fast as I stare at her menacing face. “Who’s that?” I squeak.
“ME!” She lurches forward, showing off her claws.
I try to be brave. “What must I do to get home?” I ask.
She steps backwards, shocked. “You must defeat me…which is impossible.”
“Fine,” I say in a sassy voice.
She laughs hysterically. I clench my fists and she stops.
She releases a fire bolt at me. I dodge it. I use all the energy I have and fight for my life. She gathers fire from around us and throws it at my heart. I’m losing my breath, my eyes close and I drift slowly backwards. I gradually become unconscious. The last thing I do before I die is wonder if I will ever get out.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!