I Was Only 12

I was only 12
10.4.1950 the soldier

I was 9 years old when the war was starting. I was only twelve when a general from the Australian military came knocking on my door with an official form that, I was old enough and had to join the military immediately! My name was John Twine I was twelve and lived as an only child with my Mum. I was at my house and the general told me that I had to join the military.

11.4.1950 the morning I’ll remember

I woke up this morning and realized today was the day I walked out of my bedroom ran to the kitchen and said goodbye to my Mum knowing that I would probably never see her again made sure I hugged her tight trying to act brave I tensed my face up but it didn’t work I burst into tears. Mum told me I would be fine but I knew she had to act brave for me. I ran out the door in a hurry. As I looked back I could see her crying.



12.4.1950 the military

Dear mum
It was tough in the military we had to wake up every day at 5.00 in the morning. We even had to make our own guns I tried making my own gun and I did it except I forgot to put the trigger into the frame but Jack (my friend) showed me how to put the trigger in. tomorrow were going to go and get tested for what type of position I’m entering to go in the light cavalry so I get to be with horses more.

From John Twine.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!