Getaway

As I stepped out of my apartment building, a flustered young woman grabbed my sleeve, “Excu- please, please help me! Some men just tried kidnapping me!”
“Eh?”
“Please help!”––she pulled me back into the building––”Just… anything!”
Loud footsteps echoed nearer and in a state of confusion I handed her my keys, “Room 03 to the left. Call the police.”
She gave me a nod of appreciation and headed inside, while I turned around in anticipation at the people entering in sight. A tall man with his chin up emerged with two younger men who were hunching down giving me distasteful glares. Backing me up to a wall the tall man brought out a baton, “Young man you live here do you not?”
I nodded.
“You wouldn’t have seen a lady pass by now would you?” he smiled twirling the baton near my face.
Staying straight-faced, I replied, “Yes… Yes I saw a woman run past that way.” pointing to the door I motioned left.
“I see. Let’s go.” He patted my back and then ushered to two to follow him. As they left I followed behind, making sure they saw me leave the building.
Waiting a while, I rushed back inside and knocked on my door, “Miss, it’s me!” There was no reply. What was she doing?
“Just as I thought...” a familiar voice pierced the silence.
I jolted in surprise as I saw the tall man standing near the door, the other two behind him. “Miss! They’re right outside!!!” I slammed the door in panic.
He chuckled, “You just left your room without using any keys or locking it? You saw a woman run past? An obvious lie.” He strutted towards me swiping the baton around, the two making bear-like poses inched towards me. As if I was going to try run past them.
Tense, I gasped in relief as a hand swiftly pulled me into my room. “What were you doing?!” I fumbled as I locked the door.
“The police will be here in two minutes. I’m sorry. I wanted to lure them here so that they’d get caught.”
“Why the... well they’ll be in here soon” I wheezed, glancing at my pulsing, loud door. I grabbed her arm and led her into my room. “We’ll hide up here.”
“B-But if they find us?”
“No choice, climb to the top.”
We lay behind the dusty quilts in my wall cupboard, and I gently slid the doors shut. Hearts pounding, I wasn’t sure how much time had passed, but we finally heard the door slam open and the footsteps of men entering every room. Their noise became more frantic as police sirens becoming increasingly louder until they finally stopped at the apartment. All three men stumbled into my room, “Hide!” As all three slid open the door, we pushed the quilts onto them and heard them thud onto the floor as we ran out, adrenaline pumping. I smiled with relief as police drove us away.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!