The Extreme Zip Line

I looked up at the stadium, terror taking over my body. The twenty nine other students and the teachers have pale faces, clearly mirrors of me. We climb up the steep stairs, resisting the urge to look down the sheer drop. At a point that had to be over 200 metres off the ground, we’re all crammed onto a small suspended platform with no railings. I, being at the very edge, had to keep my balance, which was exceptionally hard with the unusual gravity on the moon.
I knew that no matter what the gravity, I wouldn’t survive falling from this distance. My turn to climb up the rest of the ladder. I could hear the clunking of harnesses below me, distracting me from my fear slightly. Halfway up, my hands were so sweaty that I couldn’t get a good grip on the ladder. My foot slipped and I began to fall.
I quickly stuck my foot through the rungs and got back upright. I was pretty shaken, but continued up. At the top, I could see a metal zip line going straight down to Earth. The instructor was listening on the walkie talkie, and when he saw me, he strapped me in. It didn’t seem like there was enough keeping me safe. When I was strapped in, he showed me where the parachute was, which was quite unsettling. At the edge, I hesitated, and looked around. There was the grey of the moon combined with the vibrant colours of Earth and the stadium. I knew that I had never been more scared in my life. Then, I heard movement behind me and felt a hand shove me down into the oblivion.
My throat was sore from screaming. Swinging wildly and getting caught on the ropes, I could hardly see anything around me. It was the strangest feeling as there was no wind, so it felt like I was still. All I could feel was my stomach, seemingly left behind. I could just make out that the ropes keeping me up were fraying. Increased panic flooded my thoughts. If I fell now, I wouldn’t make it onto Earth. As it snapped, I lunged to grab the rope still connected to the zip line. Then I lost my grip.
My hands felt like all the skin was ripped off them. I was hurtling towards Earth in agony, no thoughts able to go through my head. As I entered the atmosphere, I realised that by holding onto the rope, I had reverted myself back towards Earth. However, I was still going towards the ground. A surge of relief came over me when I remembered what the instructor had said. I pulled the rope of the parachute…And nothing happened. I started rolling in the air, trying to pull the emergency cord. At the last possible second, I caught a grip of it and ripped the cord. The parachute opened and I slowly drifted to the ground.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!