The Hedge

I woke up to the sweet scent of... CARROTS! I immediately zoomed out of my burrow like a cheetah, and found myself face to face with... A GIANT WALL OF LEAVES! Imagine this: a massive wall, kilometres high. To me, it felt like it was taller than the clouds, taller than anything; I was an insignificant ant to that wall. Still, I smelt that… that... alluring scent of freshly grown carrots on the other side of the wall. Although I was frightened by that looming wall of leaves, I was also curious about what’s on the other side. I had questions too. How did it get here? I didn’t know, though I was going to find out. I gathered my courage and crept closer…closer… until I was right in front of it. There was one more question I was going to answer; what’s on the other side?
Excitedly I hopped through a small hole in the leaves. Oh wait, before I reveal what awaited me on the other side, I should tell you about myself. I am Wally. I’m also a bunny. Out of breath, I gazed upon... I can’t even describe it, it’s so wonderful… although I’ll try.
Imagine this; rows and rows and rows and rows... (and rows x infinity) of ... orange gloriousness. Also known as lunch for the next… about 50 million months of munching. You’re probably thinking, “How can food last that long?” Well, it’s because there’s about 574327484.721843 quadrillion carrots. One word. YUM. Or DELICIOUS. Or… forget it. That’s enough words. Within two milliseconds I was eating carrots. I ate some here, then some over there. I was going to eat more carrots when... SNAP! I was immediately surrounded by the strange walls of... SOMETHING. I tried ramming them with my head, though they didn’t break. Then I saw it. A giant chunk of stone at the other end of the carrots. Suddenly, there was a SCREECH and then a BANG then something was walking towards me. “Look what I’ve caught munchin’ me carrots. A hopper!” it exclaimed. “John!” came another voice. “It’s time for supper!” it said.
“She ‘as the worst of timing...” it said. It started walking me back towards the stone walled thing and we went INSIDE!
I felt like the smallest bunny in the biggest place. There were lots of things in there. A LOT of things. He put me down, however I slipped through the bars and escaped the stone thing. When I got to the wall of leaves, there was another wall made of the same stuff of the thing I was trapped inside, so I dug under. From that day on I never went near the wall again. Well, until I smelt the sweet scent of fresh cabbages...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!