First Flight

This is a story about a bird, named Lewis. He is the smallest of his three brothers Liam, James and his favourite Elijah, it is Lewis’s birthday; he is turning six and since he is turning six, he has to learn how to fly. Lewis is afraid, because if he can’t fly, he has to leave home.
When Lewis wakes up, he walks to his brother Elijah’s bedroom. Elijah sits down next to him and asks if he is scared.
Lewis said, “I’m not scared of flying, but I’m scared of having to leave if I can’t.”
Elijah says, “Don’t be silly, when I was your age I was scared too: having to leave my family if I couldn’t fly. That really scared me. But when I jumped, I spread my wings and I flew and I’m sure you’ll do the same.”
After Elijah finished talking to Lewis, Liam and James came in and said, “We are setting up and we could use your help.” Lewis stood up and walked into the lounge room and curled up on the couch and somehow fell asleep.
Two hours later Lewis was awoken by Elijah, Lewis sat up and ask Elijah what he was doing?
Elijah said, “Look outside.” Lewis stood up walked out the door to see his friends and family.
Lewis was shocked he asked them what they are all doing here one of them replies with, “We came here to watch you and your big day.”
Followed by Lewis came out James and Liam. Liam said, “It’s time...”
Lewis walked slowly to the tallest tree in the forest, which had a ladder that Liam and James had put there when Lewis was asleep, the ladder went all the way up to the highest branch.
Lewis was almost at the branch he was jumping off, when he decided to look down, but he pushed on, Lewis was finally at the highest branch, he stood at the very end, closed his eyes, loosened and relaxed his body then opened his eyes and spread his wings and jumped, and for a second he did fly but the wind blew him into a beehive.
After Lewis was rescued by Liam and James, Elijah went to give him a hug but Lewis dodged it and went straight to the ladder, Elijah was confused. He asked Lewis what he was doing? Lewis replied with a dramatic, “Keeping this family together.”
Once again Lewis was at the end of the branch, this time he didn’t close his eyes and relax his body. He dives but not into water, he was heading straight for the ground, but over half way down he open his wings, he struggle against the winds, but soon took control and flew like a fighter jet zipping and zooming in and out of nowhere.
Two years later he teaches other birds to fly, I think Lewis is an amazing teacher, because when he was teaching me I flew on my first attempt.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!