Crisp

I was encompassed by a white abyss. The opaque porcelain white rendered my vision useless. This impenetrable barrier seems familiar, it is one I have visited before. Why am I here? What is my purpose? Is death upon me? I was flooded by a tsunami of existential questions that were desperately pleading for an answer.

I was unsettled by a tumultuous BANG! This prompted me to feel perturbed as I had no knowledge as to what had caused such a sound - could it be a murder weapon resonating the cruel tune of my demise? These morbid thoughts were the least of my worries as another sound pierced my vulnerable eardrums; a plastic-like crack triggered an array of memories. This sound can only be associated with one thing - I thought this day would never come... I would finally put a face to the repulsive name that has haunted me since my conception. I do not work well with others, period. Especially not a narcissistic, self-absorbed character. I am a global phenomenon, I shouldn’t have to endure such substandard treatment. Fear is no longer present in my mind, anger has now sprouted to the top spot, like a weed strangling any goodwill I might have had left.


Suddenly, an ominous shadow cast itself over me; its distorted outline resembled the menacing figure who’d terrorized my kind before. The eye-watering smell confirmed his arrival. As soon as his foul odour enveloped me I was almost immediately struck by an oppressive weight. I surveyed my surroundings and, although my sight was compromised, I could see a viscous liquid flooding out, pooling around me.

* * *

After much anticipation, we had finally met. Being in such close proximity made it hard for me to control my indignation, the very sight of him made my insides turn. I glistened with superiority; being in the presence of such a pathetic opponent skyrocketed my self-confidence. How could anyone ever fathom that we would work together? He almost seemed withered after this new onslaught. Regardless, our fates were intertwined - there was no escape now. The victor of this battle would soon be revealed as things came down to the crunch. How could I despise someone so much? Was it normal to be filled with such disdain? I couldn't bear the sight of him much longer. Someone of his status shouldn't even share the same air as me. I found his very existence intolerable. He was defenseless; his vulnerability amused me as I watched him drown shamefully. Triumphant didn't even begin to describe how I felt in this very moment; it was picture perfect. I waited for him to breathe his last breath of the crisp open air. He would finally succumb to my dominance...

* * *

My exterior wilted; I was humiliated as my murderer was, in fact, my foe and he had finally executed my death as he had always imagined. The pungent smell he carried was enough to make me drop dead, but giving him that satisfaction wasn’t an option...yet. I refused to leave this earth so indisputably for my motto was to persevere and persist like all who had come before me. I locked eyes with my rival and gazed at him with such passion that he could feel the very hatred that resided in my soul just for him, even as I faded...
… let us finally be free...

* * *

As the human poured his salad dressing over the lettuce he took a moment to admire his creation and thought, “Aren’t these two just a match made in heaven.”

Crunch. Swallow.





FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!