Stolen

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

I’ve always had a fear of something, something I never thought would happen. But it did and it happened to me. I was asleep as usual in my warm, comfy bed. But this time it wasn’t a dream, it was a horrifying nightmare.
My eyes popped open and I felt a strangeness. A cold sharp breeze passed over my motionless body. I looked up and the window was wide open. I saw a shadow of a hooded man. I screamed. I pinched myself and repeated over and over again “Go back to sleep, this is just a nightmare. Go back to sleep, go to sleep.”
I hear footsteps outside my room. My doorknob slowly starts to turn, tears well up in my tightly closed eyes as I cover my head. As the door opens, I see my mum’s messy morning hair as she whispers “Why did you scream? Are you ok?” She asks, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. “I’m okay. I just had a bad dream.” She nods her head, “That’s okay, sweetie.” She walks to my window, closes and locks it tight saying “Don’t worry, you’re safe.”
The next morning, I woke up to the bright, hot sun blinding my eyes. My curtains were blowing in the wind. ‘Wait’ I thought ‘didn’t mum lock my window last night?’
I got up and dressed, grabbed my school bag and I shouted “MUM! C'mon, we’re gonna be late.”
The next thing I know I’m waking up again, but this time in blackness. “Where am I?” I shouted. What’s going on? Suddenly a black and white TV appeared on the wall. It was my family they were crying, calling the police, looking for me. I shouted, “I’m here, please come find me somebody, anybody, please HELP.” I lay there terrified, just listening to my mother crying and sobbing.
A tall hooded man came in with a brown sack. He grabbed me and forced the sack over my head. Again, I’m in darkness.
I woke up tied to a wooden chair in front of a small TV. I watched as the presenter shared the shocking story of a missing child, a 10-year-old girl named Danielle. “Oh my god, that’s me!” I screamed. “I’m here!” I shouted at the TV, “It’s me, I’m here!”
The man spoke for the first time. “Shut up they probably think you’re dead!” He shouted angrily. I sat in silence. “Wait” I said to myself. “I recognise that voice! Dad?” I screamed.
The hooded man pulls out a gun and all I hear is a loud crack. I can then see a silver object coming towards me. I try to untie myself by frantically pulling at the ropes with my teeth. I loosen the ties and begin to run. But it’s too late.
I feel something cold, sharp and strong dig into the side of my neck. I slowly fall to the ground and scream. My eyes begin to close. “Am I dying?” As I drift into darkness everything goes quiet.
“Danielle? You’re still in bed? Get up. Quickly.”
Am I alive or dead? It’s cosy and warm. I look at the window it’s locked shut. Just like mum had done last night.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!