The Memory Loss

Excellence Award in the 'Just Keep Writing 2019' competition

I wake up. My eyes widen into consciousness, as the sun’s blazing gaze burns over my forehead like an oven is cooking. But I don’t awake on a comfortable mattress like most people would. I stay there. Lying dead to the earth on a murky grey pavement. It then occurred. It was as if my brain had been blasted out of my head. Who was I? Where was I? What was my name?
Except I don’t have much time to think about it.

Four figures emerge. Lurking out of the corner behind a damaged building. I don’t know what my name is, or where to go. But I know one thing for sure. I have to run.

As quick as a lightning bolt, I charge out from the pavement and dash for the side street. Sure enough. The figures were hunting me down. As I sprint. I catch a glimpse of people. I rush over to them. I ask for help. I scream at them. I shout for attention. Instead, all I get, is a person walk straight through me. I feel shell-shocked. Not believing what just happened.

I catch sight again of the figures. They don’t look like they are about to stop. I am beginning to tire out. I leap over a rusty old wall, and enter the grounds of a park. There is a lovely blue sky today. People are having picnics and admiring the lush green trees. I keep on running. I try everything to get away from the figures, hiding, running, and trying to put them off. They are closing on me.

I am gradually getting deeper and deeper into the park. I come upon a creek. I pounce over it and dart for the woods. I mount up a steep slippery hill, hoping that this will stop the figures. But it doesn’t.

I shoot out of the woods, and head for the outskirts of the city. They are catching up. I stampede for the side streets, but it is the wrong move. The one that will cost me. I smash straight into a dead end. The figures surround me, taking steps ever so closer to me.

Then all of a sudden, out of the blue, one of the figures speaks. It isn’t a normal voice. It is like from another universe, as he says in a low dark voice, “you do not belong here. Come with us, and let us fulfil your destiny”.

I stand there. Goosebumps taking over my skin. Here I am. A lonesome boy, trapped, not knowing what to do.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!