Tale Of A Survivor


They took it all. They took everything I had. Everyone I loved. Everyone I ever cared about. Piles of rubble lay on the ground. Sirens shouted in the distance. Barely anyone survived. Papers floated through the air. The wind howled violently. This was an unexpected run. I hardly had the time to escape. Crowds of people erupted from the ground, breaking free from Mother Nature’s grasp. No one told us anything! No one did anything! We were all on our own this time.

I searched desperately for help, but no one was in sight. Buildings dangerously holding on to each other. Dogs chased each other as they ran freely out in the open. Birds fluttered their wings until they landed graciously on the broken wreckage. Cries broke out as villagers discovered their loved ones were no more. People shared tears as each one of them mourned for their dearest. They were nothing but pain and death. A damaged radio squealed under a piece of furniture.” Breaking news!” People came rushing from all places and swarmed over to hear the report. I nearly got trampled by all the civilians. “Disaster strikes the middle town as… gre..at….” The voice died down. Villagers mumbled to one another. A terrible howl shrieked far in the distance. The crowd spun around and hurried towards the crumbled building. A small red-haired girl with a dust-filled bright pink dress stood before us. I could see the colour drain from her face. Her lips trembled with fear and darkness. Her face crumpled. Her hands shook. I turned to look at what she was looking at. I would have never had such an experience in my life. A dusty ragged body hung from a crushed wall. Her scream burst out of her mouth. My eyes looked away. My stomach turned inside out. This was certainly a nightmare.

I ran past everyone else and sat on a flattened piece of wood. Disturbing thoughts escaped. My head swung in every direction. “This is the end, isn’t it?” “Am I here because of that?” Crazy things happened while I was in a blackout.

As soon as I woke up, I found myself sitting on a chair. A grey like comfy blanket coated me around my body. Pink warm fluffy pillows rested on my head. “Am I in heaven?” “Am I dreaming?” I couldn’t feel my legs or my arms. I tilted my head towards the front door. People dressed in blue danced around the hall, holding white paper boards and wearing white plastic mouths. A yawn came along and soon I felt my eyes falling. I let it fall knowing that I am safe once more.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!