The Big Move

The rain was pouring down in torrents, and the ground was wet and muddy. Suddenly I slipped on a big rock. Carefully, I pulled myself up, as to not trip over again, since if I did, my friends Abby and Eve would laugh at me. They always did.

Abby and Eve were my only friends, apart from Alyssa, who moved to New York 3 years ago, leaving me alone. I had to be friends with Abby and Eve, because our mums were good friends and they were my only option.

I ran home, careful not to tread mud in the kitchen, mum would get angry at me if I did.
I carefully tiptoed across the living room, as not to disturb dad (he was on an important phone call) and quietly ran up to my bedroom.

Our house was an 8-bedroom mansion, some of the bigger rooms had kitchenettes, mine did. I plonked myself on my bed and reached out and grabbed the book I was currently reading. I read until dinner, which was lamb shanks, mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, which was luckily one of my favourite dinners.

I went to bed quite early, and at 8:10, I was fast asleep. I woke up at 9:45, to hear mum and dad coming up the stairs with dad, talking quietly, so I couldn’t hear them.
Then I realised that they had gone back downstairs. Strangely, mum came back upstairs and came through the corridor. Shadows crept across the walls, and I was scared.
Mum sat down on my bed and told me that we were moving to London. She told me that dad had a new business and that we were going on a ferry the next day. I was confused. She got me out of bed and helped me to pack my clothes and essential belongings and to find other things that I wanted to take. I went back to bed and fell asleep instantly.

The next day, I woke up to the sound of bacon frying, and the smell wafted up to my room. I ran downstairs, but I wasn’t that hungry so I just had one small piece of bacon and a little bit of eggs on half a small piece of bread. I slowly walked to the secret room (which was just under the stairs) and cried and cried. I didn’t want to go to London, I wanted to stay here, in my home with my family in Norway. In my big house with my toys and all the rooms where I could play all day without anyone finding me. But I had to go.

I stepped into the taxi which would take us to the port. After a long drive, we finally arrived at the port. I slowly walked up the ramp and stepped on to the deck on the ferry and hoped that London would be a better life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!