Dancing Flames

Dancing flames

The thick black dust swallows me as I step through the burning building. My nose waters from the sooty odor that is swimming around the room. Red flames around me dance to there song almost brushing against my body. Sweat drips down my aching face and my stomach pounds as thousands of butterflies swarm in for a party. Pieces of the caramelized roof fall down behind me but I keep on going. I need to find her!
I approach the sweltering staircase. Embers fall to my feet. There is only one way to go, and that’s up. I swiftly scramble up the staircase. I enter another room, there is paper scattered everywhere burning rapidly into charcoal. There is a hatch on the roof leading to the fresh outside air. I need to get up there.
I anxiously jet my eyes around the smoking room looking for a ladder or some helpful object to lift me up through the hatch. My eyes come to a sudden stop and my brain spins in circles as I come across a cupboard leaning under the hatch. I hurdle over the flames and carefully but quickly sprint over to the cupboard. The cupboard is made from oak wood that has been carefully carved by hand. I grab the third shelf and rest my foot on the first. I climb up the cupboard and balance on top. The wood from the hatch pierces my fist as I punch my way through it
“I’m out!” I gasp.
I climb up through the hatch and jump out into the daylight. I breathe in some fresh air tasting the salty sweat on my tongue. I run towards the little girl who’s standing on the edge of the building. I run over to her and whisper her name so that I don’t startle her
“Hope, Its okay I’ve got you”
She looks up at me with tears swelling in her feared eyes. I look down the side of the building and see the life net secured on the ground. My heart jumps into my mouth and I hesitate but I have to be strong for her. I wrap my arm around the girl and jump off. Her scream pierces my ears as we fall quickly to the ground. A tear of relief escapes my eye.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!