Happiness

Amelia stared out the window, watching the huge weeping willow tree sway in the soft breeze. Boredom filled her eyes as she wondered if there were any exciting and fun activities to do in her new forest surrounded house. She longed to be back at her lovely small school, talking with her best friends and looking after the school pets. The only company that she had was the little drawings of her imaginary animals she drew.
Amelia turned her head to the flickering flames in the fireplace and wondered what the inside of the vast, mysterious forest looked like. As the young, adventurous girl paced down the ancient, creaky stairs she grabbed her warm coat and scarf. A cool gush of wind hit her as she slowly turned the lock in the wooden door. Amelia deeply inhaled the pure country air as she took her first steps onto the luscious, green grass. Her slow steps turned into a fast jog towards the gateway of trees.
Crispy leaves crunched under Amelia’s footsteps as she trekked further into the forest. She was mesmerised by the different colours of flowers that appeared and the sounds of the little birds enchanting their sweet songs. Suddenly a different noise met Amelia’s ears. She turned her head to where the ear-splitting, whining noise came from. She pulled back the leaves of the low branches and found a helpless horse that was tangled in the thorny bramble. Amelia slowly approached the large creature and carefully untangled it from the bush. With a neigh of pleasure, it happily nudged Amelia’s shoulder, acting like she should hop on his strong back. She carefully jumped on, being cautious of his long, wild mane. The icy wind blew through Amelia’s hair as she rode along on the strong stallion. Little lizards dashed along the grassy pathway beside them, while Amelia decided to name the horse Prince.
Unexpectedly, Prince stopped in the middle of the wide pathway, looking around. Amelia firmly ordered him to continue but he wouldn’t budge. Quickly, Amelia bounded off Prince, keen to venture further. She vigilantly walked forward and felt her hand scrape against something solid. A thick mist rubbed against her cold legs as she wiped her hand along what felt like a wall. Amelia gently tugged Prince over to the invisible barrier and stood on his strong back. Her icy hands found the top of the peculiar wall and grabbed it. She pulled herself up to sit on top and an unexpected ray of sunshine hit Amelia’s body.
She sprang down the other side of the wall and Amelia’s eyes grew wide. Flowers were sprouting out of the lime green grass and the sun was finally shining. Strange animals she had never seen before frolicked in the vast, beautiful meadow. Suddenly she realised that the odd creatures were the imaginary animals she had invented. A long-lost smile grew on her now happy face. She had finally found her happiness. As she ran along, she whispered “WOW!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!