Fan-Flippin'-Tastic

The bus speeds past buildings, parks and graveyards. The bus pulls up in front of St Leonard’s station. Mum and Dad push us off the bus and into the Flight Centre kiosk. A lady is on the front desk wearing a white dress, a large red bow on her collar and a red nametag reading ‘Poppy’.
“Are you going to Brisbane for a holiday?” Asks Poppy.
“Sure are! We’re also seeing relatives!” Answers Dad.
“Well that sounds nice…” Poppy says as if she couldn’t be less interested.
After some back and forth, we had booked four tickets for Brisbane on a flight taking off next week!
*
Our Qantas flight lands in Brisbane and the flight attendants try their hardest to get us off as quick as they can. At the airport, we catch a navy blue bus to Dreamworld. Aidan had never been on a double decker bus so he sped straight up the winding stairs. When we come to the theme park, the bus comes to a sudden halt and throws us all forward. As soon as we’re in, Mum and Dad survey queues to see the best options and decide the Hot Wheel’s Cyclone is the best choice. A poster reads ‘AUSTRALIA’S SCARIEST ROLLERCOASTER’. Gee that helps. We hop in the queue which is a massive spiral up to the coaster entrance and surprisingly it doesn’t take long to get to the front. The operator sorts us into carts; Aiden and I got the front row which made us even more worried! Before any second thoughts the car lurches forward and we’re slowly pushed around a banked corner. The incline slowly takes the cart to the top of the lift hill. Another banked corner and we’re plunged down an almost vertical 40 metre drop. As much as I don’t want it to, my body follows me down the hill which is really bad for my stomach! We head into a U bank then another, followed by some sneaky turns. Here comes the first inversion, a corkscrew! “ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” Everyone screams. Straight after, our car curls into a ball as it powers through a whole loop! After that madness, the track hurtles around a final corner and comes to a tooth crunching halt. Aidan and I stumble out of the car and check out our photos. I swore I could see some vomit flying out of Aidan’s mouth. After that killer ride, we meet Auntie Fifi at the food palace in DreamWorks World where we ride The Shockwave with her. Shockwave is when you stand up on the edge of a revolving disc as it moves up and down the orange track. I thought it was fun but Auntie wanted something more thrilling. This is when she drags both of us into The Giant Drop queue…
*
We’re at the top of the 119 meter tower, and 14 of us simultaneously breathe in. And then…
Whoosh.
“ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!