Kept In This Prison

Cautiously, I look to my left and to my right. “We should wait until HE and SHE are gone, so that we don’t go trouble.” I whisper. My small, timid brother nods in agreement. Bam! They’re gone! The door slams behind them and all there is to hear is my ‘best friend’: silence. Now, we wait until they come home.
Hours pass, then a wicked idea pops in my head. I get up from the hard bed covered in my dirty rags I call clothes and tiptoe to the small, cracked window covered by a sheet. Before I could touch the curtain, a dirty hand grabs me, “Ellie, don’t do it. Trouble.” Joel whispers. I stare at him blankly. I just want to see the world Outside of our dark prison, our house. I weigh the odds. No, I want to see Outside. I shake my head in disagreement, “One peek, Joel” I say calmly. “HE doesn’t have to know that we looked Outside. “Or the fact that we were exposed to the world Outside this building. I pull my hand out of his tight grip and suddenly smile. In the first time in MY life I will decide. Something that I want to do, not always what HE wants to do. As I turn towards the window, in the corner of my eye, I see Joel jumping up and down eager to see what Outside is: Real people rather than the pair of scary, monstrous people we see every day.
Whoosh! I open the curtain and it is like it transports me to world I have never seen. It’s so beautiful I gasp with pleasure and delight. Joel and I stare out the window for ages, still processing this amazing world.
So, this is what I’m missing out on.
Opening the window was no longer a pleasure but a habit. Day after day I look Outside longing to have what the Outside people have. I see a happy girl skipping down the street, she was showing her teeth. Lots of people were. I learnt this was smiling. I wish I could do that. I have a stirring envy that is growing inside of me. I wish I could have freedom. I wish I could be happy. It was worthless to keep wanting stuff when I knew I had to work for it.
I made a list of what to pack. It was short, but everything on my list was special to me. Joel watched me and stammered, “No. Don’t do it. I’ll tell THEM. I will miss you.” A big, blue blob was sliding down his face, and I knew what this was, it was tears. I’ve never seen Joel cry, but I knew I had to stick to my motives.
I was held back on my mission because I knew Joel was going to tell. I had to keep reassuring him that everything would be fine.
I will never forget last night, when I lay on the dirt floor, my brain buzzing with excitement. I was going to be free and tomorrow I was going to follow through with my plan.
My eyes flutter open and I sit up, looking to my left and right. I see the two empty spots where THEY slept last night. My mouth spreads across my face and I was smiling with delight.
Now, I just need to follow a few, easy steps:
1. Pack for Journey
2. Prepare to leave his prison
3. Walk out the door
And that is what I did.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!