Fading Light

Finalist in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

‘When the sun goes down today, you will die.’
I open my eyes to the beautiful beach. I never thought I’d see it. But here I was, in front of a breathtaking sunset. Never had I seen the ocean; all I could do was imagine it. I step onto the washed-out sand, my bare feet sinking under the surface. My toes tingle as I place my other foot in front of the first, one after the other, until I’m sprinting toward the magnificent horizon. I abruptly stop before the crystal water. My hair blows in the light breeze, a spray of water hitting my warm skin. I rest my eyes on the dulling sun, watching it slowly lower. I stand perfectly still, until I can taste the salt on my dried lips. Then slowly, I dip my toe into the cold water, sending a ripple across my dying reflection. A chill surges through my body. This was my dream. I had fulfilled it. Now all I had to do was go and die with my pitying family telling me how much they love me. But I didn’t turn back. I step deeper into the blue. I want to stay here and enjoy the sunset forever. I didn’t want to go back to the sickly warm hospital, with the smell of rotting bodies and foul blood. I didn’t want to go back to my lonely room; where I’d spent my lonely life pondering……..I wanted to feel normal. I wanted to live. I watch the sun fade in the distance. ‘When the sun goes down today, you will die. When the sun goes down today. I step further into the ocean. When the sun goes down. I look up. The sun is still there.
“Please…don't leave me…”
A voice begs. My voice.
“Pl-PLEASE!”
The sun keeps sinking.
“I don’t want to…” I sob.
I’m going to die, and everyone else will continue living their life. No matter what I do……but the sun is still there. I can catch up to it. If I just---- run.
I sprint until I’m chest-deep in the water. I’m screaming now. I can make it; I know I can. My wet clothes hug my shivering body. I take a deep breath and dive down into the sea. Even though I can’t swim, I’m moving fast. I kick forward until my legs hurt. Until my lungs burn and my eyes sting. I look up and see the vague light on the surface of the ocean. I need air………. But I don’t have time. I’m going to stay with the sun, so I’ll never die. My head is throbbing, my lungs are about to explode……. but I keep going. Then suddenly, my cold body is overcome with a warm sensation. All my pain seems to vanish, and I am in engulfed in the light. As I breathe in the humid air and feel the heat radiate off my skin, I know that I am finally one with the sun.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!